What is wrong with my rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamMacPerson, May 1, 2014.

1. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

So, my rMBP has been a great machine for the last 5 months. Amazing machine. However, in the last few weeks, I'm having problems with it. First was a Kernel Panic that ensued when I was trying to eject a thumb drive. I printed out the console log and found that the last loaded kext was loaded at about 2 minutes before the Kernel Panic: com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothUSBDFU. The last unloaded kext was about 3 minutes before, and was com.apple.driver.AppleIntelMCEReporter. The total uptime of the machine was just over 14 hours, so its not like it was running forever either. Other loaded kexts included Intel and NVIDIA graphics drivers, as well as a few referring to Bluetooth and one "Don't_Steal_Mac_OS_X".

The other issue was the machine wouldn't wake up. For whatever reason, everything I tried, I couldn't get the machine to wake up. I hate to force the machine off and power it back up to get it to boot. All I was doing was moving a file from my SSD to a thumb drive.

Lastly, BAD Wi-FI issues. Last night, I was downloading a movie from iTunes and the speed kept going from 30Mbps to less then 1Mbps. This is over AirPort. My router is the latest 6th Gen Extreme with 802.11ac. I ended up having to reset the Wi-Fi on my computer multiple times to get it working at a decent speed for any length of time. It took 5 tries until it stabilized. Other machines on the network (including a MacBook Air 2013 with ac) don't have problems.

What I have tried: Repair permissions, repair disk, erase and reinstall (twice, once as new, once from Time Machine, nothing has worked.

So, my question is, is there anything else I can try before taking my machine in for repair to try and fix this issue? Its rather annoying, but so are the repeat repairs I have to go though after the Genius screw up the first repair.

Thank you in advanced and help is much appreciated!

2. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I feel for you man. You have a really nice computer. Sounds like you might have gotten a lemon. I would call Apple or make a Genius appointment and explain them everything you told us. They will help you but if they don't be persistent. Don't give up!

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

WiFi can be location-specific, it will be affected by fridges etc (big metal objects), so do both machines have the same issue in the same place or is the MBP really worse?

Also check what interference from other WiFi networks is like, again half your house/flat may be subject to interference and the other half not, there are plenty of free WiFi apps that will show you which channels to avoid.

Did the other issues occur more than the once each?

4. leman macrumors 604

Did you try resetting NVRAM, PRAM and SMC? Otherwise, it does sound like a hardware problem.

5. iamMacPerson thread starter macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Thanks! I was hoping not to have to take it to the Geniuses, but it seems I'll have to.

With the location, I could be located in the same room as the router and still have the problem. The other machines, which include a MBA 2013 with ac, 2 cMBP 13" 2010s, 2 iPhone 4ses, 1 iPhone 5, 1 iPhone 5s and a 2009 Mac Pro as well as 3 iPad minis (1 Retina, 2 1st Gens) (not all are on at once) and the issue is only happening on my laptop. I have pulled the MBA into the same location and it has no issues.

The KP and wake-from-sleep issue have not happened again.

Yep, first thing I tired. I always try to run through the baseline diagnostics before I call AppleCare.

I also forgot to add, I ran the onboard diagnostics (Cmd-D) and it came back clean twice.