what is wrong with my wireless? consistent "scanning..." on strong signal

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dissolver, Dec 10, 2008.

1. dissolver macrumors newbie

Fairly new to Macs, just switched this summer. I haven't really had any troubles, but recently something is getting annoying.

My wireless connection has suddenly gone to crap. Airport constantly says it is scanning and my connection is maintained but doesn't work. Now I know that the natural inclination here is to blame the router, but:
    A. I have two different wireless networks with full signal available to me, and it does the same thing with both
    B. Something about the connection is weird, because last night I was able to download something at 200+ kpbs and use an instant messaging program, but Firefox got nothing.

I wondered if it wasn't a Firefox thing, but then why would Airport be scanning all the time? And what does "scanning" mean from that anyway?

I just want my internet to work consistently again!

fyi: Referring to Airport in the sense that "AirPort: Scanning..." is the message I keep getting. I don't know what the routers are... I know one is a Belkin, not sure about the other. They are both in adjacent apartments so I can't reset them, although I can call and ask to have that done if necessary.
    15" MBP, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.5

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're referring to the fact that when you click the Airport icon on your menu bar it says Airport: Scanning..., it only scans when you click the icon, so it can refresh the list of available networks. If you don't click the icon, it's not constantly scanning.

3. dissolver thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know. Doesn't help the fact that my internet isn't really working most of the time, though... I'm just really boggled by the fact that it probably isn't the router (since both networks are doing the same thing).

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Do you have a modem? Maybe you should unplug the power cord from the outlet and wait a few second and plug it back in so it can restart and see what happens or unplug your router's cord and let it restart and see what happens.

Another option is update your firmware to fix any problems in your MBP or update your router's firmware to see if that helps. :)

5. Jisuo macrumors 6502

It's a bug. Add another wireless connection and your problems should disappear.

[​IMG]

6. driphone macrumors regular

can you explain a little more, I am having the same problem with my MB.
    thanks

7. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I added the connection called "Home".

Just press the + at bottom left and create a new service (interface = airport, service name= anything). Drag it to the bottom of the list. Done.

8. driphone macrumors regular

OK I'll try that tonight and post the result.
    thx

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would also advise not using the default name. It could be more susceptible wardrivers messing with your wireless.