What is wrong with posting your home server ip address here?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by waloshin, Jun 27, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

What is wrong with posting your home server ip address here? Especially when all you want is to see if its working?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Use the "contact us" feature at the bottom of the page or PM someone on the Leaders Page with questions like this for best results.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

The main thing is because this is a public forum. You don't want a random person to see your IP address, run NMAP on the IP address and find a way into your home network.

That is my reason for not wanting to publish your IP address.

Steve

4. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Thanks, never thought of that. So if the webserver assigned to the ip address gets hacked, and is running Linux, only the Windows machines would be vulnerable?

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Your machine could be used to sniff network traffic and transmit it to a 3rd party, act as a spam relay mail server, become part of a hijacked botnet, etc. Linux servers are susceptible to exploits and if taken control of can be a major risk like any Windows PC. I manage over 15 Linux servers at work, trust me when I say a LOT goes into properly securing them.

6. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

no.

Although Linux is secure, we can make it just as insecure as windows, just as we can improve the security of windows. If, for instance someone can get ssh access to your server, and then are able to guess at your root password, then your server is infected too. It may not be a virus, but a person using your server for their own needs can be just as bad as being infected with a virus.

Unfortunately, the most insecure part of any system is the bag of flesh and bones sat at its keyboard.

7. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Couldn't I just lockdown ssh attacks by sudo apt-get install denyhosts

8. emt1 macrumors 65816

WHOA! You're a genius! Why didn't anyone think of that before?! NOBODY WILL EVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT HACKING AGAIN!!!

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And what is to stop DDOS attacks either by excessive DNS queries against your box (even though you may or may not be running DNS), hitting your webserver (there are still boxes out there infected by the Code Red and Nimbda worms that while would mainly affect IIS servers, can give you a DOS on your webserver), synflooding you giving you DOS on everything, or exploit your buggy libraries provided by Debian (or any of its derivatives) to arbitrarily run code as root? All of that can be done by just knowing your IP address, from which you can find out the distro of Linux that you are using, and off you go.

Same applies to Macs as well. So no, I'd rather not have my IP address posted; even though that would not excuse myself or anyone from properly securing your machine.

BL.

10. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Wrong and wrong again. It's fairly easy to get around that.

11. emt1 macrumors 65816

That was sarcasm...

12. trule macrumors 6502

But the IP address is public anyway so does NOT publishing really make much of a difference?

13. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Exactly if you ping macrumors you would get the ip address too, so its not the end of the world!

14. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I've noticed you revert to sarcastic remarks and jokes in a lot of your posts. Why must you post things like that if it doesn't effect you at all?

15. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I would hazard a guess that Arn and crew have put a fair amount of effort into hardening the servers for MacRumors. If you've done the same, then no worries.

16. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Comparing a commercial site to your personal website? or do you have a commercial site of your own?

If you have to ask about the downside of publishing that info, then you probably shouldn't be doing it honestly. :)

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You weren't here for MacWorld, were you? :D