What is wrong with the current Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by krause734, Apr 9, 2017.

1. krause734 macrumors 6502

krause734

I am hoping my current Mini (2014, $699 model) holds strong until they release something new. What is holding back the Mini right now? CPU, GPU? What does it struggle with? Other than not updating it in years without any price drops, it is the only Apple computer I would consider buying.

I would guess video editing and gaming are it's weak points but otherwise it's not a bad little computer. No problems running basic programs even with the 5400 RPM disk.

I am hoping Apple releases something in between the Mini and the Pro that is very customizable ranging from $500 to $5,000.

2. Celerondon, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017

Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Nothing is wrong with your current Mac mini krause734! :)

Your $699 Mac has 8Gb of RAM and Iris graphics correct? You are fine.

That computer has plenty of room to grow. Your CPU is fast enough and you can increase storage capacity or performance at will. With a 2014 mini, there are multiple storage upgrade paths if you choose to install an SSD or Fusion Drive at some future date. Between internal PCIe, internal SATA, external USB 3.0, or external Thunderbolt, or some combination of those interface options, you should get years of use from that mini. :apple:

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

It should be fine for video editing unless you have very demanding needs. Final Cut Pro supports graphics chips going all the way back to the HD3000, I have also played around with DaVinci Resolve and it ran fine on my 2012 base Mini (HD4000) with 16gb RAM. Now I'm using a 2012 quad Mini for video editing and it's great, although I'm working mostly with legacy DV/HDV footage.

I was considering the 2014 i7 3.0 ghz/16gb/256gb SSD Mini but ended up getting a used 2012 i7 2.6ghz quad /16gb/256gb Mini instead because it was cheaper and also 50% faster. But depending on the software you want to use, the 2014 Mini should still be a decent machine. I have a 2013 MacBook Air with the i7/8gb and 512gb ssd that is probably similar in performance to your current Mini. I run Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro and other demanding software on the MBA and it's just fine for my needs. Not in any rush to upgrade either my Mini or MacBook Air at this point. :)

4. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

It's neutered as it has a 10yo spinner for cheap with crappy memory of 4gb soldered or Apple punish you financially to get 16gb and a little usable SSD. There is a pretend SSD in the 1TB fusion drive but it's still such a markup that it's the reason 2012 Minis are the gold standard.

Apple really does take the p!ss with those spinners.

5. krause734 thread starter macrumors 6502

krause734

I am hesitant to put a SSD in it. Apple has purposely made it somewhat difficult to do. Fortunately, I am not a speed freak. The computer takes less than 30 seconds to start up, login, and load a web browser. I will probably sell it and my next computer will have a SSD and hopefully they will be even faster and cheaper.

I really don't notice that the hard drive is slow for my basic needs. It starts up fast enough and programs open quickly. It is also 1TB and is very cheap compared to the SSD's with less space.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I setup a 2012 Mini to boot from an external Samsung 500gb T3 SSD last year and it works really well. Performance is not as good as an internal drive, but it ain't bad. :)

[​IMG]

7. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

In what way? There are good tutorials available online and it does not take more than maybe an hour or two (when done for the first time). Even with only mediocre crafting skills, it is actually pretty simple to add an SSD to any Mac mini from 2010 or younger.

It's only after you experienced the raw speed of a SSD that you can't go back to a spinning drive. ;) At least not for the system drive.

This is why you usually use a SSD as system drive and a second, spinning drive as (comparably) inexpensive data drive.