What is wrong with the LED on Magsafe (MBP 2010 17")?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, May 24, 2018.

1. hajime macrumors 601

Hello, for the past 2-3 weeks, I found that the LED is not working normally. Very often, the light is off. I have to unplug and replug it to the laptop for it to display either a green or red light. For the past three days, it happens more and more often. For example, I unplugged it from the laptop since there was no LED. Plugged it back. A minute later the LED was off again. What is wrong with it? Battery dying? Magsafe failing?

2. Audit13, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018

Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

It could be the charging circuit in the Macbook too.

Are you able to try the charger on another MacBook?

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

No unfortunately. I recall that when I took the MBP to an Apple Store last year. The genius did some tests and found that the battery was losing its ability to keep full charge.

I guess it is almost time to retire the computer.

4. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

I'd hang on to that MBP. It's a great unit other that the capacitor problem which can be easily remedied, unlike problems with the 2011 15" MBPs.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

After I changed the thermal paste, it is very very quiet!

6. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

The battery is properly reaching the end of its life time considering it is from 2010 and have seen some usage. This should not affect the light other then telling whether it is to be green or red based on capacity.
    Have you tried the usual and reset SMC and NVRAM?

as @Audit13 say, you should try to see if the circumstances changes with using another charger/MBP, if it does you will know whether it is the power supply or the Mac which have the problem

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Actually I have only used it for about 5 years as I got two other rMBP from univ. Right now, I only has it so I cannot do any test.