What is wrong with the new macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Funkymonk, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I'm reading so many threads on peoples brand new 2011 macbooks being defective. Of course I thought its just because this is an apple forum and only people with problems would come but I'm seeing it in real life too. Two of my classmates just got the new 13" last week and one girl had a messed up trackpad and the other had a screwed up screen and got super hot. Of course they returned them and got their laptops replaced but I find it very odd that this is happening with apple. Anything new happening with apple lately that would affect their quality like this?

I know about Steve Jobs sickness but don't think that would affect manufacturing.

Btw I have an 11" mba and I love her. I named her Scarlet :D

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Most people come to a forum for help when they have problems not to praise their mac. The vast majority of MBP's are perfect.

3. FriarNurgle macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

4. DryEyez macrumors 6502

I got the new 13" i5 base model, and I love it, no problems, no overheating, no crazy noises from the hdd. Running smooth as butter. It's my first mac, so maybe I'm missing things other people would spot, but the quality is miles ahead of anything else I've owned, as this is my first mac.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, Steve hasn't been showing up and doing his job on the assembly line in Shanghai. That's the reason! :D

If you take all the complaints by all the new Mac owners posting in all the threads in all the forums on the internet, then multiply that times 100, for those who don't post, you still have a tiny fraction of the more than a million Macs sold every month. Reading about problems on a forum or talking to a handful of people that may have gotten a bad unit isn't a representative sampling of Mac buyers' experience.

6. secondsight macrumors newbie

I got the 15" base model last Saturday as my first mac and I'm loving so far. I agree, being my first mac I may not notice the same issues mac veterans may notice but I have no complaints thus far. I'm really liking the Sandy Bridge i7, so once my wallet recovers from the shock of this macbook I'll probably upgrade my gaming desktop to i7 as well.

7. TheHoff macrumors 6502

You don't have one.

8. adztaylor macrumors 68000

What an odd thing to say :confused:

But just to echo what people have said on this thread most people come on the forum to talk about problems/issues they have on here and this is only a very small fraction of people who buy them.

If there was a major problem with manufacturing then it will be all over the tech sites and blogs in no time. The vast majority are fine.

9. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

My new 15" is running great. I couldn't have asked for a better machine. Every manufacturer will have defects in a few of their units. Apple is no different.

10. akhbhaat macrumors regular

Mine is fine, other than the fact that I can't seem to get Minecraft working in OSX (just to test; it'll run far better in Windows anyhow), but that's clearly a software (driver/Java) issue.

11. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I love my new i5 13", but it is having some sort of sleep/wake issue.

Hopefully I diagnose it as software with a reinstall tonight. Otherwise to apple tomorrow I go.

12. dapickle macrumors newbie

I have the new 13" i5 base model and it's been great. It's also my first mac, and I couldn't be more impressed. Keep in mind people are more likely to whine and complain when they have issues than to praise something when it works great. The fact that your classmates got new machines with no problems proves that they just got unlucky. Quality control can never be 100%.

If you want the new mbp, then go get it! Don't worry about any issues, as long as you backup your data properly you can always switch to another machine in case you get unlucky too.

13. augustuen macrumors newbie

Why would MInecraft run better in Windows? Except from some bugs, I don't see why it would be any better on Windows than on Mac, it's the same version.

14. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Picked up my i7 13" last night, waiting for my RAM and HDD to come from a 3rd party vendor.

Putting a 750GB 7200RPM and 8GB of DDR3 in mine.

15. akhbhaat macrumors regular

Because Apple's OSX implementation of JVM is slow, and that's what Minecraft relies upon.

I did fix the launch problems, though--it was just an issue with execute permissions (I'm guessing it's because the standalone binary is distributed within a .zip file instead of a .dmg).

16. scottfsmith macrumors newbie

My new MBP 17" is working great. The only minor glitch is the USB to my dual-link Samsung monitor is not working, I get a USB underpowered error. Stopped using the USB out port on the mini-display to dual-link adapter to run to my monitor hub, and all is now good.

Scott

17. jmol macrumors member

I've had no problems with my new 15'. However, I've heard a few problems based on internal heat.

18. 8000rpm macrumors regular

lmfao! win

19. eagle63 macrumors newbie

Java performs very well on mac's, so I'm not sure what information you're basing that on...

20. nsdjoe macrumors member

Loving my base 13", my first macbook. Does run slightly warm though.

I adjusted the fan settings and @2500rpm in OSX it will idle about 40-50C depending on ambient temperature. In a Win7 VM @3000 RPM it's more like 50-60C.

21. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

This is so true and excellent points made.

That and also Mac users tend to be way more critical and sometimes expect too much from Apple. Sometimes it's nice to stand back and see what the PC side is doing. I also belong to a Sony laptop fan site. And while few will knock Sonys, the software and hardware issues that creep up there are far more than what you would find on Macrumors.

The only complaint I have is that Apple stuck with Core 2 Duo too long on their professional laptops. I would also like to have seen the price lower in those days when Apple was running Core 2 Duos but being twice as much as their competition.

22. akhbhaat macrumors regular

Java != JVM. Java is an object-oriented programming language. JVM (Java Virtual Machine) is an execution framework used to ensure cross-platform compatibility, among other things (Java was designed to be highly portable; the idea was to avoid platform-specific compilations). Generally speaking, Java code is compiled into what's called bytecode, which is then interpreted in real time by a platform-specific JVM. Haven't you noticed that you can't run Java applications on your machine without installing JRE/JVM from Oracle or whoever (maybe not as a Mac user, since it comes with the machine)?

But forget all that. It's easy enough to run Minecraft in OSX, and then do so again on the same machine in Windows with Boot Camp. The difference will be obvious.

23. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I had wake and sleep issues with my first 15' 2.3GHz. It lead to a corrupt HDD volume. Had it replaced by the Apple Store the 3rd day I had it. The replacement one is also having wake issues (from auto sleep). I am not letting it sleep automatically until Apple hopefully comes out with a fix.

24. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

Only a few hours but I LOVE MY MacBookPro 15"... :D

Only problem I had for a minute was somebody else's fault. :p

25. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Do you know if this is an OS X issue or a firmware/EFI issue?