What is your 4S battery performance TREND?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elistan, Oct 20, 2011.

?

Has there been any change in your battery performance?

1. I've been happy with my battery since day 0.

35 vote(s)
    37.2%
  2. My battery started bad, and still is bad.

30 vote(s)
    31.9%
  3. My battery started bad, but is better now. I've made settings changes.

17 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. My battery started bad, but is better now. I don't kow why.

9 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. My battery started bad, so I exchanged my 4S for a new one and it's bad too.

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. My battery started bad, so I exchanged my 4S for a new one and it's better.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. elistan macrumors 6502a

I'm reading a seeminly increasing number of posts saying their battery performance started off bad, but has gotten better recently. Perhaps it's been a settings change. Perhaps something else. Regardless there have been a couple requests in the "batterygate" thread for a poll so I thought I'd start one.

(Personally, my performance on the 14th was quite poor. Today, the 20th, it's much better. I only made two changes - 1) disable celllular data for "Docs & Data" in iCloud, and 2) enable iTunes Match although I don't think it's doing anything since I haven't signed up. All my other services, including everying in Location Services, iCloud, etc., is enabled.)

2. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Definitely seems to be getting better, made a few changes as well!

I think draining it and doing a full cycle charge helps a ton too.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A trend begs for a graph and a poll begs for...well a poll.

;)

Mine was decent on the 14th and grew a bit worse over the week. However, I had a few location services on for apps I recently installed that i had to shut off. Location services on certain apps seem ridiculous frankly.

4. 7timethecrystal macrumors regular

7timethecrystal

I hope the last option gets some votes as I await a replacement.

5. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

Two things to consider: Firstly, these type of batteries need exercising, so battery performance will typically improve to some degree with use in comparison to their pre-charged and un-exercised state when new in the box.

Secondly, battery metering is a fairly broad guesstimate at first. Ideally a full discharge and full recharge are needed to 'calibrate' the battery and get the metering more accurate.

6. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I have been having what I would think is low battery life (compared to my iPhone 4 running iOS5). I have turned off most items under Location Services. I fully charged last night and took off the charger at 7am. I have barely used the phone today and as of now I show 70% left with just using the phone for 54 minutes, 6 hours standby. 30% loss seems like a lot for just using it for 54 minutes. It is not getting warm. I had a few times my old iPhone4 running iOS5 beta would get really warm and drop extremely fast. I think at that time turning off iCloud stopped it.

7. elistan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Therefore I bring you... a poll of trends. :D
    Later when I have nothing to do, I'll chart the trend of polls. :cool:

----------

Yep - I did do a discharge to 2% a couple times before letting it fully recharge overnight. My theory at this point is simply that the cycles of discharge/charge have conditioned the battery and/or refined the software calibration parameters. (Even though my understanding was that li-ion doesn't responding to conditioning... :confused: )

So if just normal usage improves battery life - well, I'm curious to see if that'll play out in this poll.

8. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I think your understanding is correct, but my understanding is that the discharge/recharge cycle isn't to condition the battery, but to calibrate the metering of it.

9. MarcW macrumors member

MarcW

Turning off Compass Calibration in Location Services --> System Services made a *huge* improvement for me. I also had Cell Network Search and Traffic on but have also turned off Traffic. I may experiment with turning them back on to see if they again kill battery life or if the improvement is simply due to exercising the battery through recharges, but the improvement was immediately noticeable after killing Compass Cal.

Marc

10. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

My option wasn't in the poll, so I didn't vote. :D

Mine actually started off VERY good. But after the first full charge, it went all to crap. After reading the thread on here about turning off things in System Services, it's gotten MUCH better, even better than it was at the very beginning.

Here's what I've got as we speak:

Usage: 2 hours, 18 minutes
    Standby: 6 hours, 49 minutes
    Battery %: 70%

I've got everything under System Services turned off except for Cell Network Search. I've done some light surfing, made a few calls, quite a bit of texting (some of it using Siri to dictate speech-to-text), and checked both Facebook and Tweetbot pretty regularly (3-4 times for a total of probably 20-30 minutes). My screen brightness is set at about 70-75% and Auto-Brightness is turned on.

One thing I haven't done yet is do a full cycle on the battery (I need to do that). But up to this point, since messing with those settings, I'm extremely happy with the battery life.

11. iamse7en macrumors member

Great poll question. My battery life was pretty poor, so I made some changes yesterday, and I think it's much better. I turned off some location services in the system services, as well as weather notification center (not needed when you have your location already plugged in weather app!).

I have:

Usage: 2 hours, 12 Minutes
    Standby: 7 Hours, 47 Minutes
    Battery: 59%

I was doing some audio streaming for an hour or so, as well as video streaming for 10 minutes. I think this battery level is much better than it used to be.

12. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Mine started off OK, but has got better (Except last night) with use and setting changes. I blame iOS5 more than the iPhone 4S for the additional battery use as the iPhone 4 was upgraded to iOS5 and has also suffered from much lower battery life since then, although settings changes have almost reversed that.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's comparable to my 3GS, in that it lasts all day on a charge. However I'm using the 4S and features like Siri a lot more than I used the 3GS and other apps.

So I'm using it more than the 3GS, yet getting about the same battery life. Which means its a better battery than the 3GS.

It's doing real good today too. It's been off the charger for about 12-13 hours, used GPS and google maps for a detour leaving Chicago this morning back to Michigan, also used it to find lunch halfway home, plus the usual daily stuff, email, text, MacRumors, etc... And now it's only at 40% battery left.

That's real good in my book.

14. randfee2, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

randfee2 macrumors regular

randfee2

compared to my 14 month old iPhone 4 the runtime of mine just sucks, same usage... (yeah, I did it!)

[​IMG]

I suspect the stupid mandatory 3G that has almost no service in my area.... keeps logging on and off. Edge has 5 bars(!!) yet I can't set it as default net, that sucks!
    Want that option back!

15. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

It was bad. Then I turned off everything under the sun in settings, now its good.

16. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I'm sorry but that, in my opinion, is not a solution.

17. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I think my battery is fine. Or was my 3GS really bad?