What is your best iPhone tricks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SimonNyg, Nov 19, 2015.

1. SimonNyg macrumors newbie

Hey iPhone guys

I am about to make a blog post at OnkelBillig, with a list of great tips and tricks for the iPhone user.

If you have some cool tips for the iPhone, it could maybe be a longer charger time. :)

2. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

• Charge your iPhone with an iPad charger - it charges significantly faster.
    • Enable Airplane Mode whilst charging and your iPhone will charger even faster still.
    • You can 'fix' a sticky or stuck Home Button using a single drop of 100% Alcohol and pressing the home button a few times.

3. MrInquestador macrumors regular

MrInquestador

Won't a 10-watt charger damage the battery?

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Nope. Been doing it for years. One iPad charger charges all of my devices.

The phone will only allow what is needed and will not be harmed.

5. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Nope - check out the table at the bottom of this page.

I've been charging my iPhones with an iPad charger since the iPhone 5. No problems.

6. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Roll over, play dead, shake ...

Oh wait, you meant "tips" not "tricks". :cool: :D

I think your linking this guys blog overloaded it because its getting an internal server error now.

7. MrInquestador macrumors regular

MrInquestador

Thanks.

8. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

I am able to use my iPhone 6s+ for phone calls. Sometimes even text messages if I am really smart that day!

9. RadioGaGa1984, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015

RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Years really? The first iPhone to actually support the faster charging using the 10 or 12 watt charger was the 6 and 6 plus.

Hmm. See reply above.

Edit: Word changed for literal people of this forum.

10. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

It was possible to charge the 5s with iPad power supplies whether it was allowed or not. I used 2.4A power supplies on my 5s and both of my roommates are currently using a 2.4A supply on there 5s'.

11. adamhenry, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  12. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Ok perhaps allowed was a wrong choice of words. I forget people are so literal here.
    It was not supported for faster charging using the 10 or 12 watt charger until the 6 and 6 plus iPhones
    Point is it didn't charge any faster.

13. Kjung7 macrumors 6502

If you need to make a quick crop of a document/anything zoom in and take a screenshot. I do it all the time.

14. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

It worked fine as a charger. Look at the link I provided above.

15. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

What part of my post said it didn't work as a charger? I said it didn't charge any faster until the 6 and 6 plus

16. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Maybe officially. It charged my iPhone 5 faster.

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Where did I say it did it faster? All I said is it will not the phone.

Why so quick to chastise in these forums. Relax.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

The context of the posts that you replied to originally was about being able to use iPad chargers and not causing any damage, not about charging being faster with those chargers.

19. HEK, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015

HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Actually I found that it did charge faster, in a particular way. If the radios were running and the screen was on I found that the higher wattage "power adapters" (Apple's term since the "charger circuit is in the phone"), were able to deliver power to the phone while still maintaining the 5 watts to the battery. When using the cube power adapter that came with the phone, some of it's amperage would be consumed running the phone, so batteries would receive less than the 5 watts the charger could direct to them at maximum, and therefore take longer to charge. If the phone was off or in airplane mode with screen off the iPad power adapter had no speed increase over the cube.

I no longer have an older phone, but perhaps someone with a 5s could run some trials and report back any differences. I do agree that since the 6, the phone can use all of the amps from the iPad power adapter to fill the batteries. I have run a trial using the 2.1 iPad adapter on the 6s Plus and found I could cut in half the charger time over the cube power adapter. I noted that from 0% to 70% the battery would increase by one percent for every minute it was being charged. So like the Geico commercial fifteen minutes will get you 15%. The rate of charge decreased so where in the 70 percent range till at 99% it was trickle charging on and off in maintained mode to protect the battery.

20. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Good lord.

21. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

???.....was attempting to explain why some people see a charge time decrease with phone earlier than 6 using iPad power adapter. Sorry if it offends you.