Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonNyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
Odense S
Hey iPhone guys

I am about to make a blog post at OnkelBillig, with a list of great tips and tricks for the iPhone user.

If you have some cool tips for the iPhone, it could maybe be a longer charger time. :)

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
  • Charge your iPhone with an iPad charger - it charges significantly faster.
  • Enable Airplane Mode whilst charging and your iPhone will charger even faster still.
  • You can 'fix' a sticky or stuck Home Button using a single drop of 100% Alcohol and pressing the home button a few times.

Reactions: npolly0212

MrInquestador

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2015
  • Charge your iPhone with an iPad charger - it charges significantly faster.
  • Enable Airplane Mode whilst charging and your iPhone will charger even faster still.
  • You can 'fix' a sticky or stuck Home Button using a single drop of 100% Alcohol and pressing the home button a few times.
Won't a 10-watt charger damage the battery?

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Hey iPhone guys

I am about to make a blog post at OnkelBillig, with a list of great tips and tricks for the iPhone user.

If you have some cool tips for the iPhone, it could maybe be a longer charger time. :)

Roll over, play dead, shake ...

Oh wait, you meant "tips" not "tricks". :cool: :D

I think your linking this guys blog overloaded it because its getting an internal server error now.

Reactions: npolly0212

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
Years really? The first iPhone to actually allow this was the 6 and 6 plus.

Hmm. See reply above.

It was possible to charge the 5s with iPad power supplies whether it was allowed or not. I used 2.4A power supplies on my 5s and both of my roommates are currently using a 2.4A supply on there 5s'.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
It was possible to charge the 5s with iPad power supplies whether it was "allowed" or not. I used 2.4A power supplies on my 5s and both of my roommates are currently using a 2.4A supply on there 5s'.

Ok perhaps allowed was a wrong choice of words. I forget people are so literal here.
It was not supported for faster charging using the 10 or 12 watt charger until the 6 and 6 plus iPhones
Point is it didn't charge any faster.

Kjung7

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
If you need to make a quick crop of a document/anything zoom in and take a screenshot. I do it all the time.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
Ok perhaps allowed was a wrong choice of words. I forget people are so literal here.
It was not supported for faster charging using the 10 or 12 watt charger until the 6 and 6 plus iPhones

It worked fine as a charger. Look at the link I provided above.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The context of the posts that you replied to originally was about being able to use iPad chargers and not causing any damage, not about charging being faster with those chargers.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Actually I found that it did charge faster, in a particular way. If the radios were running and the screen was on I found that the higher wattage "power adapters" (Apple's term since the "charger circuit is in the phone"), were able to deliver power to the phone while still maintaining the 5 watts to the battery. When using the cube power adapter that came with the phone, some of it's amperage would be consumed running the phone, so batteries would receive less than the 5 watts the charger could direct to them at maximum, and therefore take longer to charge. If the phone was off or in airplane mode with screen off the iPad power adapter had no speed increase over the cube.

I no longer have an older phone, but perhaps someone with a 5s could run some trials and report back any differences. I do agree that since the 6, the phone can use all of the amps from the iPad power adapter to fill the batteries. I have run a trial using the 2.1 iPad adapter on the 6s Plus and found I could cut in half the charger time over the cube power adapter. I noted that from 0% to 70% the battery would increase by one percent for every minute it was being charged. So like the Geico commercial fifteen minutes will get you 15%. The rate of charge decreased so where in the 70 percent range till at 99% it was trickle charging on and off in maintained mode to protect the battery.

Last edited:

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
Actually I found that it did charge faster, in a particular way. If the radios were running and the screen was on I found that the higher wattage "power adapters" (Apple's term since the "charger circuit is in the phone"), were able to deliver power to the phone while still maintaining the 5 watts to the battery. When using the cube power adapter that came with the phone, some of it's amperage would be consumed running the phone, so batteries would receive less than the 5 watts the charger could direct to them at maximum, and therefore take longer to charge. If the phone was off or in airplane mode with screen off the iPad power adapter had no speed increase over the cube.

I no longer have an older phone, but perhaps someone with a 5s could run some trials and report back any differences. I do agree that since the 6, the phone can use all of the amps from the iPad power adapter to fill the batteries. I have run a trial using the 2.1 iPad adapter on the 6s Plus and found I could cut in half the charger time over the cube power adapter. I noted that from 0% to 70% the battery would increase by one percent for every minute it was being charged. So like the Geico commercial fifteen minutes will get you 15%. The rate of charge decreased so where in the 70 percent range till at 99% it was trickle charging on and off in maintained mode to protect the battery.

Good lord.

Reactions: deany
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.