What is your brightness set at?

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I was just curious as to what most people have there brightness set to. For some reason I feel that in the sunlight or outdoors the screen isn't as visible as the 3GS. Or maybe I'm wrong. I keep mine in the middle. How about you?

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Probably about 40% with auto on. I prefer my screen a little dimmer. It saves the battery and is easier on my eyes. If I'm out in the sun, I'll brighten it up temporarily.

tekchic

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Mine is a little bit to the right of the center line...maybe 55%. When I try to use it much dimmer than that, I get uneven screen lighting at the very top of a white screen. (I think it's imaginary because I'm not sure if it's just me thinking it's there, or if it's really there -- obviously not a glaring issue).

Mine does seem dimmer than my 3G (at the same brightness setting) but it could be that they adjusted the value of the slider. I think on my 3G I had it at around 40% brightness.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Really? I was super-impressed with the screen in direct sunlight and mine isn't even all the way up...

Maybe my expectations were just set low due to all the talk about cell phone screens being terrible in sunlight. I took my ip4 out on a bright day and it was very clear and usable.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Really? I was super-impressed with the screen in direct sunlight and mine isn't even all the way up...

Maybe my expectations were just set low due to all the talk about cell phone screens being terrible in sunlight. I took my ip4 out on a bright day and it was very clear and usable.
Well now that I use mine at 45-50% it's been much better. To save battery I used to leave it so much lower but I feel I wasn't using the screen to it's potential. Now that it's higher I feel like I'm getting the best of it.

JReinn

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
Denmark
40-50% or something like that (on my 3G) Will also be having this on the iPhone 4 I think (depending on what the screen looks like, since I've never tried it :cool:

jooak

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
All The Way Baby!!

I used to have the brightness on my iTouch(ugh) at about 50% to conserve battery. On my iP4(ugh..nicknames) i keep it all the way up at 100% at really can't look at it lower than 95%. :)

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I keep mine around 40% with auto off. If I'm using it for an extended period of time or if I need to show something to someone (and the screen is too dim) I'll brighten it. If I put it above 75% indoors it is blindingly bright to me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.