Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I have found a work around for my 2019 MacBook Pro 15". I bought an Anker USB-C adapter haha!

1. HDMI cable attached to TV
2. Lightning cable attached to dock for iPhone charging
3. USB-A cable attached to printer
4. USB-A thumb drive
5. USB-C cable to charge my 12" MacBook Pro
6. USB-C cable attached to my 24" LG Ultrafine 4K monitor
7. USB-C cable attached to my SECOND 24" LG Ultrafine 4K monitor
8. Blutooth Magic Mouse
9. Airplay(?) for HomePod mini
10. Airplay (?) for SECOND Homepod mini (stereo setup)

The only ports I am not using are the SD Card slot and the Micro-SD but I will be using the SD card slot again soon which I use for my camera. I will probably not use the Micro-SD card slot anytime soon.

EDIT: Yes my laptop runs extremely hot. No I don't care haha

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
I have a 2017 MacBook and got an adapter too. I don’t have that much stuff connected all at once though, at the most I have:

1. USB C for power
2. HDMI to monitor
3. HDMI to second monitor sometimes.

i did notice my adapter won’t read my external hard drive if I have both monitors hooked up though.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
All my peripheral devices connect to one USB-C dongle, including charge cable. I connect that dongle to my MBP.

Reactions: MPclk2006

Nathan King

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2016
Omaha, NE
My setup is straightforward, with a single cable running power and data to the laptop. I don't need supplemental storage since most of my work is pulled/pushed from/to GitHub and GitLab repositories.
  • 2x 24" LG Ultrafine displays
  • Apple Magic Trackpad
  • Logitech MX Keys

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
My is pretty simple. There are only two cables connected to my MacBook Pro when it's in it's docked "desktop laptop" mode:

• Thunderbolt 4 Port 1:
    • Connects to Apple Studio Display. The three ports on the Studio display are connected to two USB-C to Lightning cables to charge my peripherals and a USB-C to MagSafe to charge my AirPods. So the monitor is a charging station.
    • The Studio Display also powers the laptop, so I don't need the MagSafe charger.
  • Thunderbolt 4 Port 2:
    • Connected to an OWC ThunderBay 4 mini which contains two 8TB SSDs and a 4TB SSD for media, TimeMachine, etc. Unfortunately, the OWC enclosure is only Thunderbolt, so I cannot connect it into the Display for that "one cable" super luxury docking station lifestyle.
Very clean setup overall.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
All my peripheral devices connect to one USB-C dongle, including charge cable. I connect that dongle to my MBP.
This was the best thing.

A single usb C hub for a whole desk setup. A single cable for setup and takedown for portability.

Far better than filling all the ports with loads of cables each time.

Reactions: Lcgiv

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Well, I don't have a Macbook Pro, but the M1 Studio is kind of the same ports.

1. HDMI -> HDMI KVM Switch.
2. TB External SSD
3. USB-a to extra Mouse
3. USB-a to KVM

Nothing else yet, but I expect a lightning cable, and maybe a second external SSB.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
What? Picture?

I just have an off the shelves USBC hub, the charge cable goes in there, three standard old fashioned USB-A ports and hdmi port for the monitor. Card reader is also built in. Headphones and keyboard use Bluetooth.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Got rid of the need for USB-A ports a long time ago, which makes life a lot simpler....they're history. I only plug in any current external SSDs as needed rather than keeping anything plugged into my machine all the time. I have an LG 4K Thunderbolt 3 external monitor which plugs into the 2018 15" MBP quite nicely and powers both of them. When needed, I plug in an external SSD and that takes care of backups, file transfers, whatever it is I need to do. I like to keep things simple.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
I'm big on the single thread approach, power delivery and printer through the monitor. I use the MB's keyboard and webcam.

I take the backup drive out of the drawer before going to sleep.

All else is wireless.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I enjoyed reading all your setups. I do like the clean look as many of you seem to have. Wireless is always good too.

My setup is an absolute unit but it isn't excessive. I use it. The two monitors, television, printer, charging, thumb drive, and so on is all used and needed.

I would say what is least used is my SD card slot, and then my micro SD card slot which will likely never be used.

I know SD cards are used with cameras, like the one I have, but what are micro SDs commonly used for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.