What is your Dock preference?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by petvas, Sep 5, 2013.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I am interested to see how others are using the dock. Do you have Autohide on or off? Do you use the Dock on the bottom or on the side? What is your screen size that you are using?

I am using the Dock always in the bottom of the screen and recently I enabled autohiding, to gain more screen estate for my apps. I have a 15" rMBP and a 11" MBA.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

On the MBP 15" I use the Dock on the bottom in auto-hide. On the iMac's, its on the bottom and always showing.

3. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I have autohide on so that when you open up apps they aren't cramped vertically by the dock.

13 inch MBA.

4. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

Bottom, 2D look, auto hide On, 15" retina MBP and 27" led cinema monitor.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Since I keep all my most useful apps on my dock, it's always there.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

On the bottom...
    More icons will fit, and given the same number, they can be made larger due to the greater length available.

8. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

On the bottom, autohide on, small-mid size, 50% magnification, I try to keep the amount of items on the dock as small as I can.

It's normally Finder (of course), Nightly, Thunderbird, VMware Fusion, iTerm, App folder, Utilites folder, Documents folder and Downloads folder.

9. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I am always changing my dock settings. It was on the right side, showing recently.

10. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

With OS X Yosemite I may place the Dock on the left since all will be 2D.

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

When I'm connected to an external display, I'll turn the autohiding off as I have enough space to keep it there. When just on my 15" MBP, it'll be on to maximise the room for apps like Photoshop.

So I voted both, depending on the situation.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have it to the side and visible all the time.

13. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I have my dock on the side (because we have widescreen computers so why take up vertical space?) and autohide is on. It took me a little while to be comfortable with this but now I prefer it. I have menubar items for taking care of things that I'd like to monitor at a glance (CPU usage, memory usage etc.) and I use spotlight to launch apps and I use the app-switcher (gesture activated with BTTs) to switch between apps. I don't miss the dock at all.

It is really quite wonderful to have as much screen real estate as I can. I frequently use multiple apps side by side (generally evernote + word or powerpoint) and this way I don't feel cramped on a 13" screen.

I will say that it makes my computer really difficult to use for anyone else. I've handed my computer to my boyfriend before to look something up and he just stares for a few minutes and then hands it right back to me :)