What is your dream computer setup?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by crazycat, Jan 23, 2008.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

We are all tech geeks/ mac fans or so I think, I am sure everyone here had a dream setup I know I do. I was speaking to my friends and it was strange that we are very similar yet our needs/wishes are very different.

My Dream Setup:

1- Two Desktops, a fully loaded MacPro as a media hub and a main computer and a fully loaded gaming PC (able to play crises on full).

2- Two Laptops, a nice mac laptop to act as my desktop when I am on the road and a portable gaming PC.

I was lucky enough to already have a nice mac desktop and nice mac laptop, I recently made a very good investment that allowed me to get a fully loaded PC desktop and a fully loaded PC laptop. I alway thought that macs are better at everything except gaming and now I have everything i need both at home and on the road.

2. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Mac Pro and MacBook Air.

I've been dreaming of this setup for, literally, years. When my MacBook Air finally ships and arrives, I'll achieve it.

3. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

My ideal setup:

A top of the line iMac 20", somewhere central in my home. Equipped nicely enough to last many years. In addition to this common unit, maybe an iBook or some kick-around notebook for everyone to use without worrying about dents, scratches and whatnot. We have an iBook for this right now and it's such a nice luxury to have a care-free notebook to browse at random.

A top of the line MacBook Pro, Hooked up to a nice LCD on a nice clean workspace. BT keyboard and Mouse. Maybe a tablet and a MIDI keyboard.

On a separate screen to the side of this setup I'd have a gaming PC serving as both a household file server and media center. Every burner drive available installed in the tower, and lots of HD space. I won't go into specifics about RAM, HD space and ports because they will all become obsolete, but lets just say there would be plenty of room to upgrade this unit to keep up with the times.

Obviously a casual user doesn't need a high end Mac Pro in every room, but this setup would really tickle my fancy. Plenty speedy for everything I could need to do, and ample room for play with the Gamer PC and the MBP.

my ¢2

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

A monitor, keyboard, mouse, and what ever other peripherials I have all connected to a little dock. I come home, take my phone out of my pocket/holster and place it in the dock. The monitor kicks on and gives me a full desktop environment running from my phone's hardware. Obviously the phone will be powerful enough to run all this - and still get all the benefits of having all my photos, music, files on the go.

This setup would make the most sense if someone like Apple did this and thus you'd find lots of these docks everywhere (libraries, hotels, kiosks)

:D

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I'm very pleased to say, I have it.

Aluminium iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo + MacBook for on the go + iPod touch.

In addition, I have all the extras (good scanner, external drives etc...) that I need.

Edit: Now I just need to work on my camera gear, although I am pleased with what I have now.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'd have to say two big monitors attached to a powerful but somewhat hideable and expandable tower. Mobile computing isn't that important to me currently, but eventually something like the Air would probably be appealing.

7. hodgey1989 macrumors member

Mine..

Mine would have to be a Mac Pro maxed out with two 30inch displays running side by side. A huge Wacom Tablet and the CS3 Mater Suite.

Then for on the road a MBA but with a 128SSD.

Thats definitely a dream setup!

8. ibookos9 macrumors member

ibookos9

mac pro with a 30 inch display fully loaded
    eMac
    ibook g3 dual usb

9. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Mac Pro with a 24-30" display, and a iMac G3 (movable screen) just for kicks.

10. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

15" Macbook Pro (that magically is always the current model) with external monitor. Works as a desktop at home but would also allow me to easily take my main computer with me on the road if the situation warranted it.

Ultraportable laptop for random around the house use and shorter trips. I have a 12" Powerbook that accomplishes this although I'd love a 12" Macbook Air.

Not a big computer gamer (much prefer sitting on my couch playing games on my large TV with surround sound) so I don't really feel the need for a desktop anymore.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

A maxed out Mac mini with a nice 24 " LCD, a maxed out BlackBook, and a dual USB iBook for my little knock around machine.

12. beestigbeestje macrumors regular

the most expensive configuration of todays mac pro
    with two 30" Apple Cinema Displays...

but I love my Macbook pro too..

13. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

A Mac Pro in the office with a 20-24" monitor, a MBP15 for travelling, and a Mac Mini (outfitted with an EyeTV) connected to a 42" LCD in the living room.

Everything connected by gigabit ethernet, including the parking spot for the MBP. N in the house.

I think that would cover pretty much any computer situation for us. But, right now, my dream is to have PB/1.25. Why? Because it's what we got, and sometimes if you aim low enough, dreams can come true.

15. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

My dream setup would have to be one of those huge 100+ inch plasmas they show off at CES paired with the top of the line Mac Pro. :D

16. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Notebook, probably MacBook Pro and a MacPro maxed out with at least 4 tb storage, 2 30" acds, an Epson 7880 or 9880 printer, Wacom Cintque, and a kick ass steelcase chair. All this in a home office with semi dark wood floors, perfect white walls and color-corrected (ie: reveal) recessed lighting.

18. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

A 24" Core 2 Duo Extreme iMac and 13" BlackBook.

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Fully specced iMac 24" and Macbook Air.

And a Perspective Pixel screen just for fun :)

20. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Well...

I guess the ideal would be a MacPro, with a 30" display, 2 if i was feeling greedy. And then a top spec 12" Macbook Pro, but they don't make one so i can't have it.

I think time capsule is a great idea, so i'd get that in there as well.

21. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

For desktop usage, I'd like a Quad G5, with 16GB RAM, and Leopard with APX. For laptop usage, a 15" MBP 2.4GHz with 4GB of RAM and CS2. For other stuff, I'd like a 14" ThinkPad T60 Core Duo at 2GHz. And, last but not least, a really nice fragbox-say setup with Quad Xeons@3GHz-x4 cores each, with maybe 32GB RAM and a nice pair of 8800Ultra cards running in SLI.

For peripherals, I'd love a 30" ACD, and an Airport Extreme Base Station.

22. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It's interesting a few people have included the dual USB ibook as a carry-around. i must start treating my kitchen machine w/ more respect.

i'd have my MacBook Air, and either an iMac or a MacBook Pro 15" for a desktop machine.

and as long as they last, my 12" G4 powerbooks but they'd be stationary like mini-desktops, one in the library and one in the studio. I would lug the 15" powerbook upstairs and leave it up there and use it for DVDs.

25. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

My Mac Pro with it's 8gb of RAM and CS3 creative suite, 3tb of HDD space,
    It suites my needs and makes me smile using it when i look back at my old windows system. :D