What is your experience with phone interviews?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aaronchow, Aug 1, 2011.

1. aaronchow macrumors regular

Just curious. How long does a phone interview usually last? I had a phone interview that lasted around 15 minutes. Is that a bad sign?

The interviewer kept on asking me a bunch of standard questions, and while I was answering, she typed everything up but also didn't give me a lot of time to fully answer one question. And at the end, she emailed me an "application form" that basically repeats the same questions again.

I had a feeling that she doesn't like me, so she tried to get rid of me quick. I hope my feelings are wrong, but this was a one of a kind interview that I've ever had in my life...

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This sounds like an HR screen rather than a phone interview. If the correct boxes are checked with what she typed you may actually get a real phone interview.

B

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If it was just the first round, that one is called the nutjob review :). Short ones are Ok because it's just an info gathering session for the first in personal or supplemental in depth phone interview.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Most "real" phone interviews are around 30-45 mins. Sounds like your situation was more of a screening process than an actual interview. Don't get worried about the typing, even in a real phone interview they will most likely be typing your answers down.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Exactly

I have had phone interviews last 15 minutes and some that ahve lasted 90 minutes.
    The 90 minute one was a change in career fields and with a couple of transfers to different people, I ended up getting this job.

Some were very friendly and a lot of elaboration while others were name rank serial number.

6. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

Thank god if this is the case! I thought I messed up big time...

7. codymac macrumors 6502

We have a winner.
    :D

For me, HR just sends resumes based on keyword matches and the like. From there, I give a short phone interview as a sanity check - it's a 15-20 minute BS detector and to make sure the candidate can communicate. I'll likely have a half-dozen or so candidates to call after culling through what HR has sent and I simply don't have enough time to go too in depth.

I wouldn't sweat it too much if they're still in contact with you.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly. This sounds much more like an initial screening process, rather than a full interview.

Cheers