Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your favorite 3rd Party memory dealer for your Mac?

• OWC

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Datamem

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Crucial

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters

asencif

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Just wondering what your favorite 3rd Party RAM dealer is for your mac? I have checked pricing and noticed the OWC has the cheaper all around followed by Datamem. Not sure which is more reliable though.

OWC
Datamem
Crucial
Other

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I'd have to say Crucial is my favorite, although expensive...it's all that I have in my Macs.

I would say OWC after that (Samsung RAM).

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I go with http://www.newegg.com. It has been consistantly cheaper. However, you need to now the specks of the memory you need. i.e. DDR2 533. After you get all the matches you need to read the customer reviews to see what memory has been found to be Mac compatible. Wintec AMPO seems to work great thats what I have used for several macs now.

Currently the Wintec AMPO is around $150 for 2x1GB DDR 400/DDR2 667.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I went with Datamem this time only because OWC was out of the Ram for my Intel iMac when I called. I found that they were very nice to deal with and as I forgot to give some info to them, they called me back within 15 mins. to get the info needed to ship out my Ram :D
After that service, not just sending an email to me, I would go with them from now on, what can I say ;)
Also CanadaRam has made some posts about the warranty and service from them. If you look closer at those things there is a difference that only a few others can match, so it's a no brainer. It's just who has the best price among the top 3 or 4 as well as is it in stock.

Matt Phoenix

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2006
For PCs, it's a no-brainer: NewEgg. Actually I used them for all my computer parts, including power supply unit, DVD burner, fans, memory, graphics cards, hard drives and so on. I have yet to have a problem with them and they are always the first place I check for good stuff at low prices (in retrospect, I was just looking at the list of purchases I made from them in the past year and realized I spent a lot just there).

I'm pretty new to the world of Mac. While you just have to match up the memory speed for a PC, I didn't know if the memory at NewEgg would be Mac compatible. I bought a 1GB stick of memory for my iBook, snapped it in, and had absolutely no problems. And for guaranteed compatibility, it wasn't much more expensive than at NewEgg.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
yup gotta go with crucial, yeah arean't the cheapest but the ordering/delivery process was so painless (2 day delivery to Canada!) that I'm willing to pay a little more to avoid headaches

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
As long as the reseller guarantees Mac compatibility and has a lifetime replacement warrantee, I'll buy any name brand from anywhere that has the best price.

Of those mentioned, I do like OWC quite a bit. They are obviously very Mac-centric and have great pre- and post-sales support.

Right now, I use Patriot RAM from New Egg, but if OWC was cheaper - and at the time they weren't - I would have bought from them.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I've bought all my RAM from Crucial because it's easy to find the correct memory, it's guaranteed and their delivery is really fast.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Have to go with Crucial. I've never had a bad experience with them. I usually go through newegg to buy it though because it's cheaper. :)

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
At work we use Kingston. It's a bit pricey, but I dig the lifetime warranty and the fact that we've had not one problem with it, although we haven't tried many others.

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
RAMJET furnishes my TiBook and last revision AL Book.

I've used them for years. They have the quality and lifetime guarantee for compatibility like Crucial, but typically at $30-$50 less than what they charge.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
darwen said:
Why would you even suggest anything other than crucial?

I always wondering why it only on it seems to be mac sites that people even recomend crucial.
On other PC forums it is Corsair and kingston ram that come have the top place. OWC is states quite a bit but crucial is never used or even talk about it. I more likely to go with corsair or kingston ram for my ram needs that crucial. I either buy it from fry's or newegg.com

asencif

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
It seems Crucial is the most popular one so far, however some of their prices are a too high. They are even $100 -$300 more for certain chips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.