What is your favorite application?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Squirkey43, May 31, 2010.

1. Squirkey43 macrumors newbie

I have been lurking for quite a while even though this is my first post, and I will be getting my first iphone when the 4g (HD) comes out. Wondering if you all could tell me which apps you use the most. Cannot wait for the new iphone! Also, is it worth jailbreaking? Thanks

Squirkey:apple:

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Honestly, I use google maps the most but I know your talking about apps that don't come preloaded. If your a sports fan and like to check scores a lot, I use Sportacular or ESPN score center. If you like puzzle type games, Drop 7 and Bejeweled 2 are the only games I have ever downloaded and haven't got bored of within a couple days. Pandora is always great for listening to music since I'm too lazy to go and download a lot of music and keep up with it. The Yelp app is always good if your looking for a good restaurant while on the run. I use Beejive for all my IM apps. By far the best out there for message but it is about $10 I think. Hope this helps.

3. Squirkey43 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks a lot for the input! Just a quick question tho, one of my friends told me that he texts for free by using some application. Is that the IM application that you were talking about? Does anyone else know anything about this? Thanks

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Theres tons of free text apps.
    Not sure what one your friend was talking about though.

5. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

No that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about Gchat, facebook and AIM. There are multiple "free texting" apps out there but I can't really comment on them. They aren't as great as they sound and they might be right for you but they aren't rght for me. People will receive a text from you but it won't be from your cell number so it's confusing. Maybe someone else can be more helpful on that subject. Run a search on the applications section for free texting and I'm sure you will find more.

Also, about the jailbreaking, that's up to you. I used to jailbreak but then I stopped because I got carried away with modifying my phone and it really killed my battery life. If you do it right and don't install a bunch of junk you might like it, but for me it didn't work out so well so I don't jailbreak anymore and I just enjoy my excellent battery life.

5 hours of usage and 2 days of standby sounds great to me.
    [​IMG]

6. Acronym macrumors 68000

there are many apps that "text for free" there is Yahoo, Beejive, Palringo, Ping/Ping2, IPM but the catch is that you need a data plan and you the person you are trying to text either needs to get your app address (kind of like an email so that it sends to the apps server as apposed to the built in messages app) or the same app that you have.

Ping1 and Ping2 allow you to add contacts that have the app and you can "text back and forth. in Ping2 however you can send voice clips video clips pictures and text, but i have not actualy tried it out just looked at it.

7. Squirkey43 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Acronym macrumors 68000

here is my phones battery life.

Jailbroken 3GS with a few sound and visual themes running (wifi blobs logo, apple loaders, 3G fireball)
    and backgrounder was installed

1. 3G USAGE: NONE
    2. PHONE CALLS: NONE
    3. TEXTING: NONE
    4. BLUETOOTH: ON
    5. YOUTUBE: 1 HOUR
    6. MUSIC: 46 MINUTES
    7. DICTIONARY USAGE: 30 MINUTES
    8. WEB SURFING 30 MINUTES
    9. VARIOUS APPILACTIONS: 1 HOUR
      THAT IS AN ESTIMATED USAGE

[​IMG]
    this was my old 3GS it had hardware issues was a shame to see it go :(

9. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    aww.... it really warms my heart to actually see people being helpful and kind to a newbie and not to see everyone yelling "SEARCH NOOB!!!!" in his face :) I just wish everyone was always treated that way. I've never understood how some of the "hardcore" users here think it's a waste of their time to answer a simple question, but will waste their time yelling at the person about it :mad:

for what it's worth, I tried jbing once, but after the next .x upgrade I didn't go back. I don't mind staying in the walled garden :)

these are my most used apps
    Sportacular or ScoreCenter- can't decide. give different flavors :p
    facebook- 'nough said
    gas cubby- log your gas and car service info. gives charts and service reminders
    personal assistant- track all your finances in one place
    1password (the Mac assistant is awesome and worth it, albeit moderately expensive)-keeps track of all your online passwords, credit card info, bank account #'s, etc
    TomTom- GPS. I've heard Navigon is good too

those are kind of my essentials. Also as for games, i recently got hooked onto Angry Birds. Best 99 cents I've spent in my life :)

10. tnisatard macrumors 6502

TWITTER FOR iPhone

formerly known as TWEETIE

i also love to check ENGADGET and TUAW

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

I find myself using Safari much more than any other app. NetNewsWire would come in second.

12. NeshyD macrumors regular

NeshyD

I second on NetNewsWire. One of the first apps I go to for my Google Reader feed. :D

13. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

That is great battery life, but I don't think the OP should expect to see that kind of life from the phone. You're using it as an iPod touch. The fact that you have no cell signal is what is giving you the extremely long standby time.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

And the reason his usage is low is because bluetooth is on.

15. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

My fav is Echofon because I tweet quite a bit :D

16. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

17. Acronym macrumors 68000

Haha yeah, I had hardware issues with that phone so I ordered a new one from Rogers, got it replaced free of charge because they couldn't find any accidental damage.

18. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Pocket Informant
    Instapaper
    Awesome Note
    The Wisdom Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary (I live in Japan)
    Outliner
    Fluent News
    TIME Mobile
    Picture Safe (I download YouTube videos from Mac via Wifi to this app)
    Uniwar
    Galcon
    Sportacular

19. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

20. cyclone84 macrumors regular

Communication/News
    Twitter for iPhone
    Byline
    Instapaper Pro
    Meebo

Sports
    MLB.com At Bat 2010
    MyFanTeams
    Sportacular

Weather
    WeatherBug Elite

Games
    Drop7
    Canabalt
    Edge
    Orbital

21. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

For weather I like Pocket Weather with Push. It is $2, but it pushes the current weather to the icon so you can see it on your home screen and you don't even have to go into the app. It shows up the same way as a notification would show up.

22. PhillStew macrumors member

Productivity/Utilities:
    - Simplenote: great until MobileMe supports notes syncing
    - Google
    - VanillaSurf: best full screen web browser I've used...really makes great use
    of the iPhone's screen real estate, plus, it's free.
    - WeatherBug
    - 1Password Pro: Integrates perfectly with 1PW on my Mac and iPad, plus,
    it's really handy once you install the JavaScript
    bookmarklet.
    - Redbox: really cool if you use a RedBox from time to time.

News:
    I prefer the Instapaper and NewsRack combo...mostly because they are both universal apps that look and work great on my iPad. It's really cool to be able to catch up on MR, Engadget, Gizmodo, TUAW, and countless others all in one fail swoop.

Social:
    - Facebook, Twitter for iPhone, TweetDeck, and Echofon for Twitter (mostly
    because I keep Echofon around because it sends push notifications for
    mentions and DM's)

Games:
    - We Rule
    - Tetris
    - Anaconda
    - iCopter
    - DoodleJump
    - Words with Friends

23. chuckhughes macrumors newbie

I have many apps on my iPhone that I favor the most. I like the Facebook app, Twitter app, and even though I dont use it very often-Myspace. I do enjoy the games they put on-especially if they are free and fun.

24. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Make sure to download TextNow for $0.99, it's only $3.99 for a year of unlimited texting or $7.99 for a lifetime of unlimited. Way better than paying $20 a month to AT&T... You can send picture messages with TextNow as well!

I don't know if you like twitter or not but Tweetaholic is one of my favorite twitter applications. Photo Booth+ is fun, it's like having a B&W photo booth from the fair on your phone.

Fandango, Pandora, Shazam, CraigsPro+.

Great games to pick up: Minigore (best 3D dual stick shooter in the app store) Guerilla Bob, Fruit Ninja is very entertaining, Trees Of Doom, Tilt to Live, and if you like scrabble games get "Words With Friends" you can play over Edge/3G/WiFi with other people around the world.

Hope you like your new phone! :D