What is your favorite Documentary(s) and why?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ca$hflow, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I've been watching documentaries lately and it is interesting to see other peoples viewpoint. I'll start first.

Food Inc - truth and insights in the food industry
    The World According to Monsanto - a must see
    Anything Micheal Moore - lntreged by his style of messaging
    An inconvenient truth - makes me think
    Super Slim Me - movie on a person dieting

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

Helvetica - It was actually pretty entertaining.

First Decent - Awesome snowboarding.

The only two that come to mind.

3. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Supersize Me was awesome--a couple times I thought he was going to die eating mcdonalds food for a month. reason? his clean lifestyle made him terrible at adaptation to varying diets.

This Film is Not Rated--Why? shows the hypocrisy of the whole rating system...I think it was the same guy (please correct me if I am wrong)

AND VH1 has some of the best documentaries of rock too I just cannot remember them all

4. snouter macrumors 6502a

5. snouter macrumors 6502a

yeah, I don't know what I was expecting, but had no trouble watching this one...

when that one person blamed the Vietnam War on Helvetica, I was like, lol

6. johnmadden78 macrumors member

Funny, I bought Helvetica months ago and still have to watch it. I'm a font/design dork, so you'd think I'd have gotten around to it by now.

The documentaries that sprang immediately to mind:
    - This Film Is Not Yet Rated
    - Outfoxed
    - War Photographer
    - The King of Kong
    - The Thin Blue Line
    - Trinity & Beyond
    - Hockey - A People's History
    - For All Mankind

I enjoyed 'Loose Change', which is presented as a documentary, although I don't really give much credence to it. PRSI is a better forum to get into that, though. :D

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

"I swear I can't help it" - documentary about Tourette's Syndrome. The most troubling yet sometimes amusing syndrome.

8. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

**** **** piss cock sucker...I really got to see if my fiance can order that one through the library

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There was a really interesting series from a couple of years ago called Earth: Power of the Planet. I liked the first episode so much I recorded the rest on my EyeTV. The narration and depth were quite basic but the photography was spectacular.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I wasn't sure at first if these would be considered documentaries or not but David Attenborough has brought us some incredible nature programmes. Look at his IMDB profile. It's stunning. I've seen most of those and each and every one of them was spectacular.

As I'm sure you can imagine, it's not all laughs but it is worth a watch.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I enjoyed BBC's Planet Earth and March of the Penguins. Some very impressive camera work in both of them.

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

13. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Zelig. :D

I'm not big on documentaries, but Al Gore's Inconvenient thing was good.

14. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I thought "Control Room" was excellent. An inside look at Al-Jazeera, the Arab news network.

I found "Supersize Me" boring and almost walked out.

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I also liked "Food Inc" and "Super Size Me" However, both documentaries were very one-sided.

Food Inc was the last one I watched and I had no idea that food libel laws existed--I can't understand how those laws are constitutional in any way. It's illegal for me to criticize the food industry? Also, the evil way Monsanto enforces its seed patents is bone chilling.

At the same time, it seems impossible that we could feed the world using organic methods only. Some of the modern ways we produce food is a necessary evil.

16. Ca$hflow thread starter macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

17. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

American Drug War: The Last White Hope

Super High Me

The Union: Business Behind Getting High

18. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

March of the Penguins because Morgan Freeman is a god. But really, it was a stunning documentary and charming story. The years of shooting really paid off.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So far, none of the major production film documentaries have impressed me. Enlightened me, yes; impressed me, no.

Right now, the two that have done both which are my favourites, are:

One Six Right: The Romance of Flying. This covers flying, the history of the oldest and busiest general aviation airport in the US: Van Nuys Airport. Yes, it doesn't help that I'm learning to be a pilot. having that dream to fly is pretty common for kids growing up. But having that passion for it and to see how much history we've destroyed in the name of progress sickens me. Yes, I'm talking about Meigs Field in Chicago, but the documentary goes into it too. Either way, you'll hear about and why people love to fly and the romance they have with aviation.

Anvil! The Story of Anvil. This has to be the best if not most underrated documentary I have ever seen. You've heard me rant on about this one, but it deserves it. As the trailer says, at 14, they made a pact to hard hard forever; they meant it. They truly believed, after the Hair/80s metal period had come and gone, that their time would come. They were living for the dream. Now that it's come and gone, and all of the fluff is out of the scene, we can see if their time really comes.

Besides, Being nice to your fans pays off, because the director of the movie has been a fan of theirs since 1982, and they invited him to tour and show them around the UK. He (Sacha Gervase) ended up becoming a screenwriter (he wrote the movie The Terminal), and worked with Spielberg. He put up his own money for the movie, and it's been nothing but fantastic.

Those two you should watch.

BL.

20. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The Battlefield series. It's an unbiased and detail analysis of the battles including the leaders, the soldiers and the weapons used. They also include graphics with a "war room" map showing how the units advanced. Tres cool. Best of all the archival footage of the battle.

None of the crappy interviews with so called experts and biased opinions. I can't stand those. It doesn't glamorize war, it doesn't condemn it either. It shows an unvarnished, unbiased look at each battle from both side's perspective. I had to unlearn a lot of historical propaganda taught in school after watching it.

21. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

"Shut Up and Sing" - the documentary the Dixie Chicks did about their recovery from the Bush-bashing incident. Awesome stuff. A band full of some of the most talented musicians I've heard, and this is coming from a Black Sabbath, KISS, and Aerosmith fan.

22. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I really like The World at War, the epic documentary narrated by Laurence Olivier. It's an awesome series. I also like one called Maxed Out, dealing with debt and the credit card industry.

23. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Good call! :p

I liked Dogtown and Z-Boys, which was about the birth of freestyle skateboarding in Venice, CA back in the 70s.

24. snouter macrumors 6502a

yeah, loved that one

25. ajumbaje macrumors 6502

ajumbaje

It Might Get Loud was pretty badass

Food Inc was pretty sweet, I have a friend that is getting an internship at the farm out near Staunton, Virginia they had a clip of. It was the farm where they just have the guy in the background putting chickens in cones head first and draining the blood