What is your favorite expresscard attachment?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BinfordsTool, Jun 10, 2009.

1. BinfordsTool macrumors member

In memorial... and also because I'm going to be buying an expresscard multicard reader and want to know opinions...

2. ftored macrumors regular

ftored

AKE esata from ebay. Cant see the need for card reader, as there are a lot of usb multi readers, and also prefer to connect the camera with usb instead of removing the memory card. E-sata on the other hand is worth it for a fast external drive;)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I haven't gotten one yet but probably a esata card so I can improve the throughput of my external drive.

I am so happy I have a first gen unibody MBP and not the newer ones with the SD memory slot. I have no need for SD and many cameras use other memory cards like CF so the SD doesn't buy you much [/rant]

4. hogprint macrumors regular

hogprint

5. L0s7man macrumors 6502

Is eSATA any better than say, network attached HDD over GIgabit ethernet (or even normal ethernet; wifi could be slow, but it's wireless...)? Don't think so... Or is it?

6. lostime macrumors regular

a 16GB Lexar expresscard SSD that I use to transfer files from Windows to OSX, that or the eSata adapter.

I think it's foolish to get rid of the only real expandability of these notebooks, SD card slot....WTF....

7. sm0 macrumors regular

Anyone had any experiences with the expresscard card readers off ebay? to buy or not? cheers

8. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I thought I would like having the express card slot, but really the only reason I would have use it would be for eSata. Now with FW800 the point is really moot. BTW talking about the UMB, now is the UMBpro 13".
    I know the speed of eSata is 375MBps, and FW800 is only 100MBps, but what do you have that transfers data faster than either of the 2? only if you have an external RAID cabnet. Why would you hook up an external RAID enclosure to a macbook pro? Isn't that what the Desktop is used for.

I personally would like having the SD slot, because my digicam uses SD. I like to sit on the couch, or lie in bed and import my photos for the day. It is a pain in the ass to hook up my cam, and have to make sure it doesn't come unplugged while importing.

Anyway back to the question at hand. I would use it for a data connect EVDO, or HSPA. I use an EVDO usb card at the present moment.

9. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Just buy a 16GB or 32GB sdhc card then:rolleyes:

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Why don't people realize that Expresscard can only get 480Mb/s or 2.5Gb/s depending on the internal setup? It isn't possible to get the same bandwidth as regular eSATA and drives can't even use up anywhere near all bandwidth. Firewire 800 is more than fast enough for a hard drive.
    Also, why on earth would you attach a RAID setup to a laptop? If you need that much speed, buy a freaking desktop as a laptop isn't what you want.

11. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Ditto... Only thing I ever used it for

12. Herrow macrumors regular

laser guided missile system...nah, just card readers.

13. yaroldb macrumors 6502

My CF card reader. It's much easier to carry that around and not a firewire CF reader. It's so much smaller.