What is your favorite GPS app?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by yungskeeme, Nov 10, 2013.

1. yungskeeme macrumors regular

yungskeeme

I'm coming from Andriod and my go to app was Waze. On iphone it seems really slow. Haven't tried the google maps. I usually use Apple Maps which I hear is really buggy. What's your go to app?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i use google maps if i need to look something up, and i use waze just for navigation since it provides live traffic rerouting. google says it's coming, but i don't think it's been implemented yet. i see live traffic info, but the app doesn't alter my route accordingly.

3. yungskeeme thread starter macrumors regular

yungskeeme

Waze is a solid app. Just seems like the turn by turn is slow at times.

4. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

Co Pilot Premium it proberly the best satnav app on the iphone, but does need some work compared to the Android version.

5. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

6. AL2TEACH macrumors regular

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

TomTom, so far hasn't let me down and I have been using it since mt iPhone 4.

8. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

You use Apple maps but since people say it's buggy you don't want to use it? How about if it's working for you, don't switch?:confused:

9. yungskeeme thread starter macrumors regular

yungskeeme

Didn't say I wanted to switch from apple maps. Just said I've heard a lot of complaints about it but it does what I need to do.

10. figaro331 macrumors member

figaro331

Navigon is the best.

Unfortunately, Waze is based on a good reception from your network provider. If you don't have a reception Waze and other map applications will not work. I'm not saying Waze is a bad app, in fact is really good, but it will not work properly in the areas with poor signal reception!
    Only Navigon will work in a such condition since you have to download all maps of your region on your device actually. Then using actual GPS chip inside of your IPhone you will be able to navigate successfully.
    I hope it will answer your question.:):):):)

11. Oui macrumors 6502

12. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Depending on your country take a look at NavFree. Free and installs the maps onto your phone so no signal isnt an issue.

Used this a lot in the UK and also downloaded the US version for a trip over there in a couple of weeks. This said i've also used Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze all without issues in the past.

13. yungskeeme thread starter macrumors regular

yungskeeme

Didn't think of the signal thing. Thanks for that.

----------

Might give this a try. Thanks!

14. takeshi74 macrumors 601

TomTom but don't overlook prior discussions.

Those that rely on data. Not all do. Some require data for certain features but not maps.

Navigon is not the only nav app with locally stored map data. Several others have already been mentioned in this very thread.

15. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

16. cynics macrumors G3

I flip flop between Apple maps and Google maps. I generally find Google maps to be the best but this isn't always the case. It's really tough to beat Apples integration.

As far as caching map data. Open Google map app, cover the area you want to cache, type into the search menu "ok maps" (minus quotes), and that area will be cached. A prompt will pop up to verify.

I can't say I've actually had a situation that I had to rely on these cached Google maps so buyer beware. Test it out in your area prior to relying on it.

17. harnadem macrumors newbie

Another vote for Navigon! It also offers downloadable maps and pedestrian mode (when you are not in the car). It has never failed me yet.

18. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

apple map is so bad, i wonder if they actually tested the app