What is your favorite widget?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattportner, Apr 25, 2007.

1. mattportner macrumors member

Do you know any sweet widgets? Tell us about 'em.

I'll go first:

TV Forecast.

You tell it you're favorite shows and it will give you you're own personal TV guide.

2. rfaulder macrumors newbie

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have a few. iStat Pro, Sunlit Earth which shows where it is light and dark on earth, and of course the "When is Bush getting out of office" one.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

the radar in motion (I use weather.com radar on it) , always shows me current radar and the movement of the mouse to dashboard.

I also like iCal events which shows me my five day appointments list from iCal.

6. kostia macrumors regular

I love MiniStat 2 (I tried iStat and prefer this one), Delivery Status (seriously, it's SO handy), and perCount (because I am obsessed with keeping my spirits up by counting the time until events I'm looking forward to).

Those are the ones I can't turn off. I also run several others, like Showoff (for uptime), Sol (which tells me when sunrise and sunset are [again, this keeps my spirits up as the days lengthen]), and SnatchEm!, which will download embedded images and movie files from webpages without my bothering to look at the source code.

Lately I'm obsessed with Callwave, which puts my cell phone voicemail in a widget. I don't understand their business model (you don't have to listen to ads or anything), but it's a great service.

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I really only use Dashboard for weather....so my favorite widgets right now are the Apple Weather widget, Radar In Motion, and StopDashboard.

I have been using AppUpdate lately and I've really liked it, though.

8. Cheesecake macrumors member

There was, at one point on Apple's widget list, a MST3000 widget which I thought would be a nice little joke widget to have. But it's been taken down for a while now. I think that's the greatest widget i've ever seen.

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

In addition to iStat Pro that a few have mentioned, I also use iCal Events and DoBeDo to keep track of appointments and to-dos.

10. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Hula Girl. Second best Widget of all time.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/justforfun/hulagirl.html

Only superseded by the Chuck Norris Random Fact Generator.

There are a few crappy ones of this one. I have a really good one on my work computer. It has hundreds of facts but I can't find it on Google. If anyone has a link, its the small black one with random and sequential facts.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I really like iStatPro and a countdown widget.

12. nickel macrumors newbie

Sleep Display

Turns an imac's monitor off in three seconds of pressing the button. There really isn't another widget I use more.

13. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I use iStat pro and nano a lot.

I'll have to look into getting some of the others listed in this thread. Callwave sounds interesting.

14. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

Callwave is good but it attaches a message at the bottom of your text that reads "www.callwave.com/sms". if you don't mind your recipients receiving this extra bit of info, it's a great, free tool.

15. mokeyjoe macrumors member

When I first got my iBook I was downloading widgets left, right and centre. After a year though I seem to have settled on just 3. IStat nano, the calculator and the dictionary/thesaurus.

Boring huh? But these are the only things that I found useful to have one button press away.

There is a cool widget called Desksaver which turns any screensaver into animated desktop wallpaper. I don't use it much but it does look pretty!

16. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

Easy Envelopes! My handwriting stinks so I keep a stack of #10s by the printers. If you have an address highlighted on the screen it automatically populates the widget.

ambrosia.com

17. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Like the weather one, but love the spectrum emulator for nostalgia!

18. Morris macrumors regular

The Tube Widget. No doubt. Only useful for those living in or near London, though. I always check it before leaving the house, office, Gentlemen's club, gym, dentist, Tesco, AA meeting or riot.

[​IMG]
    A wildly optimistic screenshot, probably photoshopped.

19. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

I like the amazon album art widget. I tend to DL a lot of songs that are not yet released in the iTunes store yet, so this widget makes my life a lot easier by finding album art for me. I also use the weather widget daily, but I'm noticing it tending to be highly inaccurate lately, so often I go to weather.com to double check.

20. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

It may be dull but the standard convert widget is my favorite, i couldn't live without it

21. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I agree. Although I whish there was one that could convert time zones (couldn't find one...)

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mine is dull too, but iCal Events is the one I make the most use of. Second is probably Calculon.

23. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I use the boring Dictionary, Language Translation, and the Wikipedia widgets the most. I also like the fun-but-useless Dashcounter.

24. pizzacake macrumors member

I really like Launcher Widget. Here's the blurb "This is a small widget launcher for all you folks who have too many widgets to organize effectively. Type in a few characters to retrieve a list a list of widgets and click on the icon to activate them. The widget can also be used to search for applications."