Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’ve worn an Apple Watch since 2016 and to be honest I rarely think about its aesthetics these days. It’s just something I grab and put on my wrist without much thought. Occasionally i’ll change the strap colour and face, but the appeal of all that wore off a few years back.

My favourite aspects of it are probably the convenience of setting timers, reminders and accurate time. I do like using Shazam in the car as it’s illegal to touch my iPhone, I tap the Shazam app on my watch face when I hear a song I like on the radio.

I am looking forward to upgrading my watch this year and hopefully i’ll get some of the interest back. I use a Series 5 Nike currently, and it’s resisted every bang and been thoroughly reliable to be fair.

Mike330R

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Just got back into an Apple watch, Ultra 2. Took a while watching reviews to decide between it and a Garmin.
The integration with other devices finally sold me.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Total integration with my nearly all-Apple technology every place else (Mac, iPad, iPhone, HomeKit-based smart home, AppleTVs, etc.).
Health/workout tracking.
Ability to interact with notifications & messaging (text/iMessage and email) without having to pull my phone out.
Vehicle status & control (preset climate when heading out/returning to the car, etc.).
I tend to change watch bands several times per week or daily to match what I'm wearing.
I have a few main watch faces I rotate between depending on mood and what information I need for the day.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Too many features to list, but if I had to pick my favourite feature it would be the health tracking. I'm not a crazy health nut or anything like that but I'm almost 50 and it's nice to be able to keep an eye on trends.

I'v had periods in the past where I've slowly put on weight without noticing. Having a way to view trends is a a good way to prevent that "creep".

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
Undecided. If I had to say what I use more often I would say in order timers, workout tracking and Apple Pay/fidelity cards on Stocard.
If I had to choose a feature I like very much I would say widgets on SmartStack: you can keep a neat watchface with no complications and have quickly infos you need. Don’t know if other smartwatches have something similar (yet).

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I probably should have said fitness tracking in my original post too, I use it daily for that. Another hugely convenient feature is ApplePay. I use it in virtually every shop I go in and rarely carry a wallet and that’s been the case since 2017 or so.

Reactions: bmac4 and cubodado

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I probably should have said fitness tracking in my original post too, I use it daily for that. Another hugely convenient feature is ApplePay. I use it in virtually every shop I go in and rarely carry a wallet and that’s been the case since 2017 or so.
Wish this was the case in the US. There is still so many places that don't take Apple Pay. Restaurants being the number 1. Well sit-down ones that take your card and run it elsewhere. It's been a very slow moving process. I would love to lose the wallet.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England

This for me too, the two features I use the most.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
sleep & activity tracking & silent alarm (wake w vibration only)

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I don't always feel my phone vibrate when it's in a loose front pocket and I'm on the move, so it's nice to not miss texts that come through. I also like being able to check them without having to dig out the phone.

The fitness stuff is nice as well - specifically the heart rate monitoring.

When do you charge it if you put it on during sleep?

I put it on the charger while I go through my bedtime routine (shower, etc). I also tend to read for thirty minutes before sleep, so it's usually topped off by the time I roll over and shut my eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: cubodado

Mike330R

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
My ultra two randomly did not gather any sleep data last night. First time it's happened in a few weeks that I've had it.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Wish this was the case in the US. There is still so many places that don't take Apple Pay. Restaurants being the number 1. Well sit-down ones that take your card and run it elsewhere. It's been a very slow moving process. I would love to lose the wallet.

I think the UK has a much different system and banks worked together years ago to make sure they all use the same technology. Nearly every vendor here offers contactless payments, even down to corner shops and restaurants. ApplePay works with all contactless terminals which is very convenient. My watch is my main source for paying for things and it makes things so much quicker. I’ve heard people here mention a lot that restaurants in America walk away with your card and I’d have to follow them as I’d be afraid of my card getting skimmed. Not experienced anything like that before.

Here restaurants bring a handheld device to the table, either with a chip and pin keypad on it with contactless too or quite often they are full touchscreen. Some places now have QR codes on tables so you can pay and leave without having to speak to the servers which can be good.

Reactions: Howard2k

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
1. Apple Pay.
2. Timers, especially when cooking.
3. Rings and Workout tracker (I'm only doing Outdoor walks, but still...)
4. Health tracking (both in general and a very specific case: had something I feared was a serious heart condition, but caught it on the ECG and it turned out to be no problem at all)
5. Timepiece

Reactions: Mackilroy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.