What is your favourite Nikon Film camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by waloshin, Jul 8, 2016.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

What is your favourite Nikon Film camera and why?

2. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

3. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

FE2. Delightful to shoot. Must be some consensus as the used prices tend to be high (for a film body).

4. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

For 20 years I used a couple of Nikon FE bodies (one black for transparency film, the other silver for b/w or high-speed film). Lovely little cameras with very solid build. The best? I don't know. But they served me well...

5. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

F100; was the only serious film camera I ever owned and I cannot count the many rolls of Velvia I shot with it. It is not one of the older Nikon work horses but a nice body none the less.

On a side note I recall when digital was new and how long it took for digital to catch up to fine grained film. When I first switched to digital I missed the sound of the film auto winding back into the cartridge.

6. dwig macrumors 6502

IMO, the F3/HP is the best handling film Nikon, though there is a bit of a soft spot in my heart for the plain prism F.

I've owned F, F Photomic, F Photomic TN, F Photomic FTn, F2 Photomic, F3, and EL2 and have used F2, FM, FE, FM2, FE2, FA, EM, FG, FG-20, N8008, N2000, N2020. I've also handled and very briefly used several other Nikons. I've also owned or used many (>30) other 35mm SLRs, not to mention RFs and other format cameras, over the last half century.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

I liked the handling of the F3, but the metering display in the viewfinder was awful. +/- just wasn't enough information. If I could have had an F2 with the HP viewfinder, that would have been nice. The F4 was my favorite, though.

8. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I bought my first Nikon when the Nikkormat line was phased out. My choice was between an Olympus OM-1 and the Nikon FM. I ended up with the Nikon primarily for lens reasons. I will say the FM and FE line remain my favourite to this day. In fact I have one FM2 that is in near mint condition that I keep as a personal remembrance of those days.

9. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I thought film cameras are dead and you can no longer find flim

10. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

f4

why on earth no one invents something that is just a 35mm sensor and storage card that you can replace the film door with on those cameras?

11. chrfr macrumors 603

Kodak did it a long time ago with their DCS series of cameras. http://www.nikonweb.com/files/DCS_Story.pdf

12. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

wow, thanks for that.

those things were huge, but what the hell it was the 90s... I bet today it could be done in something the same size of the film door even with a LCD.

market would probably be too small tough, not many high end cameras like the f3/f4 around these days. sad

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

F3HP......but that is all ancient history. Today I only do mirrorless.

14. chrfr macrumors 603

They were huge and the DCS 460/560/660 cost somewhere around $25-30k. The integration with the body that current digital cameras offer is a massive improvement over trying to put a back on a film camera.

15. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

I was astonishingly lucky last year when my wife's uncle was clearing out a cupboard. I scored an excellent Nikon FM and a Canon AE1. They are in fantastic condition.

As silly as this sounds, i havent shot a full roll of film through them yet. Intend to take a shot now and then and havent done the 72 as each one feels like I have to be really selective. No digital run and gun allowed.

They are lovely pieces. Both fitted with 50 f1.8 standard lenses. The canon makes a weird screech which apparently is a known problem on them.

Thing is, it is so wierd how much harder it is - for me anyway - to shoot film.

And I had that daft moment when fitting the film for the first time. I wound the rewind level and took the unused £7 a roll film and wound it backwards back into the spool thus making it a useless lump of plastic. :) oops.

I am better at it now.... i think.

So I think the FM is my favourite of the 2 mainly because it doesnt make the noise and the focus screen is easier to work with.

16. Hughm macrumors member

Nikkormat FT2. Incredibly tough, simple.

17. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Not a battery in sight.

Attached Files:

18. bhtwo macrumors 6502a

bhtwo

My old F followed closely by my F2A... built to last and they have!
    Well... cept for the F2 which has a broken film transport due to a dodgy motor drive.
    I would still use but film is just too expensive for me.

mrnikons.jpg

I have a Nikkormat Ftn too, which is nice.

19. georgeinnj macrumors regular

georgeinnj

Yep, those Nikkormats are tough. I had bought mine back in the early 70s and while on vacation in upstate NY I had left the camera in its case on top of car, I got distracted packing the kids into the car :) , and we took off to town. The road had some sharp curves and on one of them I heard some thumping but I didn't see anything in the rear view mirror or feel anything in the way the car drove so I continued driving to town. It wasn't until we got there and we started our walk that I realized I had left the camera on the car roof. At that point I guessed that the thumps I heard was it flying off and so I got back into the car and drove back to the spot. After a quick search I found the camera in a cow pasture off the road. The leather on the camera case was ripped but the steel case underneath was only scratched up a bit. Opening up the case I found that the lens had popped off but after putting the lens back on it appeared that the camera was still functional. When we got back home I sent the Nikkormat off to Nikon for a check up and the only thing that they had to do was recalibrate the built in meter, everything else was fine. What a tank for a consumer level camera.