Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Really? I still don't. :confused: What has 'lands' got to do with 'James' and predictive text. It doesn't even start with the same letter. Goddammit. In Latin.
Predictive text on cell phones guesses words based on the letters on the number keys you type.

JAMES = 52637
LANDS = 52637

So, when the user types 52637, the phone guesses "lands" instead of "James" because it's used more often and is therefore the correct guess more often.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Predictive text chooses between triads of letters: J/K/L; M/N/O; A/B/C, etc. to make likely combinations.

Edit: Or, to put it another way:
Predictive text on cell phones guesses words based on the letters on the number keys you types.

James = 52637
Lands = 52637

So, when the user types 52637, the phone guesses "lands" instead of "James" because it's used more often and is therefore the correct guess more often.

Praecognosco ergo sum.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Really? I still don't. :confused: What has 'lands' got to do with 'James' and predictive text. It doesn't even start with the same letter. Goddammit. In Latin.

If you type J-A-M-E-S in a cell phone using predictive text, the number key sequence also maps to L-A-N-D-S (because J-K-L are on the same key, etc). So lands comes up as the predicted word instead of James.

But on mine, it learns... so it knows my name and defaults to it when I type that sequence in. And it knows the names of my sweethearts too. ;)

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
The penny drops. :rolleyes:

I tread in the footsteps of Samurai and out here you toggle through the triads (Yakuza). So if I press '2' I get 'A'. If I press it again I get 'B'. Even with kanji you have to select a reading. Predictive text doesn't exist here.

Apologies jimN for thinking you were the ignoramus :eek:

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
Perhaps someone would be kind enough to translate for this dribbling simpleton.

I suggest that you choose your battles more wisely in future, and be less ready with your insults.

This thread has been distracted for long enough.

I can't understand why people protect their first names on the internet. I think that it is a common courtesy to introduce yourself to people when you meet them. I work in what is rapidly becoming a customer service industry (urgh) and I must introduce myself to strangers regularly. To be honest I'm at greater risk from strangers in the real world than I am on the internet.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Wait!!! Don't say it! :eek:

...I got to thinking to myself: "why am I not supposed to let other people know my first name"? And I answered my self as saying: "because no one else does." ;)
What do you think the danger is of divulging your first name to the world?

Since the statistics on Identify theft are getting pretty scary (10%!!), control of your personal information is no longer simple paranoia.

Personally, I've been limiting distribution of my first name for quite awhile now. I've found that it is a piece of information taht is able to be an easy & simple mechanism for doing a little bit of "white list" filtering.

In other words, if I get a piece of wierd email that uses my first name, its worth a second look before the trash bin, because its more likely from someone real who somehow knows me, instead of YA random spammer.

-hh

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I suggest that you choose your battles more wisely in future
Or you'll beat me to death with your hockey stick?

and be less ready with your insults.
As has been pointed out, I was obvioulsy referring to myself. Why would I need someone to translate for the original author?

This thread has been distracted for long enough.
For which I prostrate myself at a level below your dangly bits in sincere hope of forgiveness. If any of these threads should progress at a pace or direction out of favour with yourself kindly inform a moderator and they will ban the offending posters.

I can't understand why people protect their first names on the internet.
Yes, that's what this thread is about.

I think that it is a common courtesy to introduce yourself to people when you meet them.
And rest assured you will go down in the history books as the one who originated this idea.

I work in what is rapidly becoming a customer service industry (urgh)
The Civil Service perhaps?

and I must introduce myself to strangers regularly.
For which action you will go down in the history books as a pioneer.

Loosen up a bit, buddy. There are all sorts of people on-line and they ain't all going to say what pleases you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.