What is your ideal setup?

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
If you had an unlimited budget, what would your ideal setup be?
Dual 2.93GHz CPUs with 32GB of RAM, four ATi 4870 video cards, RAID 5...

I have a sneaky feeling that there can only be one answer to your query... maybe two, if people opt for nVidia instead... :D

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
IBM Roadrunner. Currently the fastest computer on the planet. :p

Internals:
  • 12,960 IBM PowerXCell 8i CPUs
  • 6,480 AMD Opteron dual-core processors
  • Infiniband
  • Linux

Photo.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I could use more RAM, and probably faster drives. Otherwise I'm good. :eek:

Another display would be nice.

Though seriously… OP, what kind of answers did you expect? If anyone had an unlimited budget (apart from being crazy), they'd probably get the best of everything.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I'd buy a Mac Pro cheese grater case, and stuff it with faster non-apple used parts, as in, YES, I'D GO HACKINTOSH. Throw in some ridiculously fast RAM, the fastest i7 processor there is, liquid cooling, overclock the sucker, Dual 5870s, a plethora of SSD drives in RAID0 using a proper non-apple branded POS raid card, and a 2tb drive for storage in the secondary bay.

I'd pay top dollar to have the inside of a mac pro case get refitted for a better PC branded motherboard and better ram.

I'd pay someone to do this for me, money buys everything, right?

If I had the mac pro standard comp, i'd just load it with the fastest intel SSD's in RAID0, get some flashes 4890s in crossfire and accelero s1 cooling (silence!) and again a 2tb drive in the optical drive bay.

As for LCD, i wouldnt even bother with any of the lame apple 'cinema' displays. I'd get a proper Eizo S-IPS matte finish LCD monitor;

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/coloredge/cg301w/index.html

As you guys can see, the only thing worthwhile having in a mac, is the operating system itself, nothing else is made by apple.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
How does that help with a van though, if you truly want it portable?

You'd need a rather substantial generator stuffed in the van too. :p
Naw, I don't need it to be portable really. Just that design is very compact and low wattage. Excellent HW selection!

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Naw, I don't need it to be portable really. Just that design is very compact and low wattage. Excellent HW selection!
Take a look at the SGI Octane III. One of the versions uses up to 20 Xeon 55xx processors, and InfiniBand (DDR or QDR mode) all in a case that's small enough to sit on your desk (27.5” x 12.5" x 26.1”)! :eek: :D

Product page, data sheet.

Lot's of power, in an itty bitty little space. :p

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Unlimited Budget?

Umm.. How about build another supercomputer? Forget the 'mini cluster' thing... Build something much much much faster!!! And use more upto date technology.. Perhaps a few thousand's of the current, top of the range of Octo MacPro's with upgraded Nehalem x55 3.3Ghz processors and maxed out 32Gb RAM, replace all the mechanical HD's with super fast, high capacity 1Tb SSD's in RAID format... Use quad channel fibre to network the who lot together!?? Then once all that is done... hire some dude to come fit the air conditioning!!

Imagine what sort of data centre this could be... but no... this is just a machine for personal uses. :p

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
If you want to use an unlimited budget and start a system from scratch, go optical.

Of course you'd have to do years worth of work (materials & manufacturing on a large scale along with processor design, and maybe even gate work, if the CNOT gates turn out to be a bust), but what the heck. :D :p