What is your iTunes library on?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Foreverbfc, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Foreverbfc macrumors newbie

I am trying to figure out where to place my iTunes library. I have a MBP which currently holds my entire iTunes library and the computer I sync my iPhone to, but I just ordered an iMac and can't decide which one to sync my iPhone to and house my entire iTunes library.

I'm not too familiar with syncing abilities of iTunes in general, I know you can share libraries over a network, but the computer has to be turned on in order to stream the music. I would like the portability of using my MBP, but don't want to have to always have my MBP on to stream my library. I like the idea of syncing my phone to my iMac and having my pictures based off my iMac.

How does everyone do this? Is there a way to have the best of both worlds? Can I have a duplicate of my iTunes library on both?

Any help will be much appreciated.

2. Relg3! macrumors regular

Relg3!

My way

I have encountered this from moving from laptop to iMac too.
    The way I had done it. Was to move the entire iTunes folder onto a external drive/or depending on how big the library is on a flash drive and then replaced the one on the new iMac (this will erase all the content on your iPhone then sync it with the content on your iMac.:D
    That being said YOU CAN JUST COPY THE LIBRARY AND AUTHORIZE 2 COMPUTERS:p OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO MAINTAIN BOTH :eek:

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

4. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Same issue for me.

Since I homeshare the content of my iTunes (I initally set it up with transfer migrator so it automatically transferred over my iTunes library to my iMac from my MBP) my content is constant on both machines.

My only glitch I have is I would like to transfer a playlist from my MBP to my iMac but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it yet.

I have my iPod Touch on my MBP library but I would like to sync the playlists to my iPad which is set up with my iMac......

5. Moomba macrumors regular

I sync with my MBP. Then I just have it sync the music folder to a directory on my file server running Firefly so that I have access to the entire library on all systems in my house.