What is your link speed in Network Utility?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by johnnnw, Jun 29, 2014.

1. johnnnw, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014

johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

When you open Network Utility and go to "info" tab, what is your Link Speed?

Or hold option and click the Wifi fan symbol in the top bar and it is under "Transmit Rate"

Curious what speeds you are able to achieve.

Please specify whether Ethernet or wireless and 2.4 or 5ghz!

Side note edit: After looking at "Link Speed" again I think I may be off base in assuming Link Speed and Trasnmit Rate is the same thing. Transmit rate fluctuates while the Link Speed says at the same number.

Anyone understand this better than I?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

On my MBP using 2.4GHz it saw it as high as 104 after watching it for a few seconds.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm in the 130 Mbit/s range for my 2.4GHz wireless connection.

4. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Transmit rate with no ethernet, using 5GB was 450 when I just checked it.

Checked again...now 380...

6. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

7. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

Whick u.k. broadband provider supports a/c?

8. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Wireless ac controls the speed between your macbook, and the rest of your home network INDEPENDENT of your ISP internet speed from the internet backbone to your home.

ex: You have wireless AC and a 5Mbit Cable Provider, you can stream 1080p files just fine on your local network (from a desktop in the bedroom to your tv), but not from the internet, 5Mbit is too slow and is your bottle neck.

ex2: You have wireless G and a 105Mbit Cable Provider, you will top out at wireless G speeds ~6MB/s because that is your bottle neck and even though the connection to your home is MUCH faster, your wireless is too slow to provide you all of your available bandwidth.

All ISPs "support" ac, it is your laptop/iphone/router that need to be compatible.

9. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Pretty much any, if you buy your own 802.11ac wireless access point.

10. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

BT gave me this router for free. It's pretty crap in some ways (can't configure custom DNS is one of the problems with it) but I don't have the funds for an Asus currently.

11. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

You're confusing LAN speed with ISP speeds. The number people are stating is the speed of their link between the router and their computer.

AC just depends on what hardware you're using, any internet would support it.

----------

Very jealous.

12. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

If I were to 'extend' my network from living room to bedroom what is an a/c network access point? is it like a router?:eek:

13. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

1 Gbps on my wired connection. 450 link, 300 transmit on the WiFi connection via 5 ghz link. My MBP is about 5 feet from the Airport Extreme so both connection distances are short.

I use the wired connection as my primary connection but keep the DiFi on so I can use AirDrop. Also saves me the trouble of turning it back on when I undock it.

14. ontheGRIFT macrumors newbie

Is there such a thing as an Ethernet Transmit Rate???

Is there a way to find an ethernet transmit rate? Does that even exist, or am I making up my own terminology? I'm running a mid 2010 macbook pro.

For example, I know I can hold down the OPTION key and click on the wifi icon in the menu bar and view various stats, one of those in particular says transmit rate. I'm assuming that number represents mbps.

So is there something like that, but for ethernet??? I know how to look up LINK SPEED via network utility > info > ethernet/wifi etc.... And I'm also aware that link speed and the wifi transmit rate has a discrepancy....

sorry if this is a dumb question

15. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I run a utility called MenuMeters that displays various system metrics in the menu bar. It shows ethernet throughput. Just tried copying a big library (27gb) and it shows a peak xfer rate of 77.6 MB/s which is about the max speed of the drive on the other system.

16. johnnnw, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Where did you copy the big library to? A local server?'

Just tried placing a large file in my Windows shared folder and MenuMeters showed a throughput of only 4MB/s

My LAN network speed is terrible I guess

17. myname70 macrumors 6502a

1 Gibt/sec on LAN to the router

300 MBit/sec WiFi 5 GHz to the same router

144 Mbit/sec WiFi 2.4 Ghz to the same router

18. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

To a Mac Mini running Mavericks Server. Copied it to the internal drive of the mini. My wired network is all gigabit components.