• Other

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'm just curious... which OS do you actually use for the majority of things?

I've got a friend who triple boots his PC with Windows 7, Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux. He says he needs it all... and yet, I don't see how. He is just a standard PC user, not a very big gamer and not a developer. He uses XP the most.

I personally just like to stick to one OS, which for me, is OS X 10.6. Just curious which one you guys use the most and whether you bother with Dual Booting or Virtual Machine gear?

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
I'm just curious... which OS do you actually use for the majority of things?

I've got a friend who triple boots his PC with Windows 7, Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux. He says he needs it all... and yet, I don't see how. He is just a standard PC user, not a very big gamer and not a developer. He uses XP the most.

I personally just like to stick to one OS, which for me, is OS X 10.6. Just curious which one you guys use the most and whether you bother with Dual Booting or Virtual Machine gear?
OSX. Because it's better.
:apple:

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
OS X 10.6.2 is my OS of choice, I also run 10.5.8 on the G4, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my own MB (Boot Camp), and Windows XP SP3 on my OH's Macbook (Boot Camp and VMWare)

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
I use OS X (10.4) for my general computing, design, and UNIX needs (i.e. 90% of my use), and XP for Internet Explorer browser testing, an ASP development server, flash-heavy sites, and the occasional Windows-only app.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I only have two OS' in the house. Leopard and Snow Leopard (Unless you count the old Macs running System 7) and Snow Leopard gets used more currently.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
OSX because its a superior OS.

I also use fedora but for the majority of time, its OSX Rock solid and decent performance.

jamesdmc

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2007
Cittagazze
Leopard on all my macs. I have no problems with it, so I'll wait for at least a couple more 10.6.x updates before upgrading to Snow Leopard.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Snow leopard/Win7 on a mac pro
Ubuntu 9.10/Win7 on two laptops
freebsd on my nas
Windows 7 is probably my favourite desktop OS nowadays.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
OS X on my desktop and ultraportable; Windows 7 for my tablet.

I like Windows 7.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
At work, various distros of linux (Suse, Fedora, Redhat, Debian) for development and XP for email and writing documents.

At home Leopard.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I didn't count my work computers, those all run WinXP (2 work laptops and 1 work Desktop).

At home I have a new iMac that has 10.6, my MacBook Pro with 10.5 and then I have a desktop that runs the latest 64bit version of Ubuntu as well as Windows 7.

I also have a netbook (EeePC 900) and that, for the moment, is running Jolicloud on the harddrive but I have been botting Chromium OS off of a USB stick as of late to try it out.

I do have a use for every one of these OS's. Obviously, if I had a SL upgrade disk I'd upgrade my MBP though.

I use my desktop for a lot of tinkering (in Ubuntu) as well as basic web use and even programming. I also prefer using Linux on it because I feel much more at home on a *nix based machine, despite growing up with M$ beginning with Dos and then UPGRADING to Win3.1 :p.

I have Windows 7 on my desktop as well because I've tried to dabble in Visual Studio and VB programming (Windows Only) as well as the occasional game. Also, I am Mr. Tech Support for everyone I know. So the fact that I run the latest of almost every OS is very helpful to me.

My netbook, I just keep something light and snappy on it. :D

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
I want the fastest system that works with most of the hardware and software I own and that means I'm still primarily a Windows XP user. I also use Snow Leopard and Windows Server 2K3 and whatever else I need to get the job done but most of the time I'm in Windows XP with all the visual bells and whistles turned off. I know this may sound crazy but for those of us who started with monochrome command lines Windows XP is already plenty flashy enough. I just want my programs to run as fast as possible without having to upgrade my perfectly functional hardware just to add a bit more visual pizazz. Windows XP is easy to use and easy to fix and easy on the wallet.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I use Snow Leopard (10.6.2) on both my Macs - my wife's white Macbook and my old white iMac. However, I've been having issues lately (mostly Safari beach-balling A LOT), so I'll be doing a reformat on both machines. I was going to reinstall SL, but since BOTH machines have started this, I'm strongly considering going back to Leopard. Regardless, the re-do will happen over the Christmas holiday (I'm a teacher and am out for 2 1/2 weeks).

I use XP SP3 on both Macs for Boot Camp and Fusion - not used a lot, mostly just for a few games.

I have Windows 7 (64-bit) on a new laptop that I haven't received yet. I'll let you know how that goes once I get it... :D

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I use what I feel is the best OS for the job. I wish I could say OSX for all of these, but I can't. For me, it comes down to:

General purpose computer stuff: OSX
Software development: OSX unless I'm forced to do things the 'windows way'
Gaming: Windows
Home Theater PC / Media PC: Windows
Servers: Either linux, freebsd or windows server depending on what I want it to do.

acxz

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
Snow Leopard on both my iMac and Macbook. I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my Macbook as well but barely ever use it (only to play Trackmania really).

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Snow Leopard on both my iMac and Macbook. I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my Macbook as well but barely ever use it (only to play Trackmania really).
You bought win7 ultimate just to play Trackmania? :eek: Surly thats a little excessive...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.