What is your main OS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by roadbloc, Dec 1, 2009.

?

Which OS's do you use?

1. OS X 10.4 Tiger

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. OS X 10.5 Leopard

30 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

114 vote(s)
    79.2%
  4. Windows XP

23 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Windows Vista

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. Windows 7

34 vote(s)
    23.6%
  7. Ubuntu Linux

10 vote(s)
    6.9%
  8. BSD (FreeBSD, PC-BSD...ect...)

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. Other

6 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'm just curious... which OS do you actually use for the majority of things?

I've got a friend who triple boots his PC with Windows 7, Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux. He says he needs it all... and yet, I don't see how. He is just a standard PC user, not a very big gamer and not a developer. He uses XP the most.

I personally just like to stick to one OS, which for me, is OS X 10.6. Just curious which one you guys use the most and whether you bother with Dual Booting or Virtual Machine gear?

2. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

OSX. Because it's better.
    :apple:

3. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

OS X 10.6.2 is my OS of choice, I also run 10.5.8 on the G4, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my own MB (Boot Camp), and Windows XP SP3 on my OH's Macbook (Boot Camp and VMWare)

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

On my netbook, Windows 7 x86. On my mini, OSX 10.5. When I game, Windows 7 x64.

Most of my time recently has been on my netbook.

5. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I use OS X (10.4) for my general computing, design, and UNIX needs (i.e. 90% of my use), and XP for Internet Explorer browser testing, an ASP development server, flash-heavy sites, and the occasional Windows-only app.

6. Blakely028 macrumors regular

Blakely028

Snow Leopard at home.
    Vista Home Premium on my uni laptop and XP at the uni computer labs. :)

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I only have two OS' in the house. Leopard and Snow Leopard (Unless you count the old Macs running System 7) and Snow Leopard gets used more currently.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OSX because its a superior OS.

I also use fedora but for the majority of time, its OSX Rock solid and decent performance.

9. Xavier macrumors 68020

Snow Leopard on my main laptop, and Leopard on my PPC.

10. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

11. DARKJ3DI macrumors regular

DARKJ3DI

Snow Leopard. What else does a tech-savvy teenager need? :D

12. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

Leopard on all my macs. I have no problems with it, so I'll wait for at least a couple more 10.6.x updates before upgrading to Snow Leopard.

13. VoR macrumors 6502a

Snow leopard/Win7 on a mac pro
    Ubuntu 9.10/Win7 on two laptops
    freebsd on my nas
    Windows 7 is probably my favourite desktop OS nowadays.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

OS X on my desktop and ultraportable; Windows 7 for my tablet.

I like Windows 7.

15. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

At work, various distros of linux (Suse, Fedora, Redhat, Debian) for development and XP for email and writing documents.

At home Leopard.

16. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I didn't count my work computers, those all run WinXP (2 work laptops and 1 work Desktop).

At home I have a new iMac that has 10.6, my MacBook Pro with 10.5 and then I have a desktop that runs the latest 64bit version of Ubuntu as well as Windows 7.

I also have a netbook (EeePC 900) and that, for the moment, is running Jolicloud on the harddrive but I have been botting Chromium OS off of a USB stick as of late to try it out.

I do have a use for every one of these OS's. Obviously, if I had a SL upgrade disk I'd upgrade my MBP though.

I use my desktop for a lot of tinkering (in Ubuntu) as well as basic web use and even programming. I also prefer using Linux on it because I feel much more at home on a *nix based machine, despite growing up with M$ beginning with Dos and then UPGRADING to Win3.1 :p.

I have Windows 7 on my desktop as well because I've tried to dabble in Visual Studio and VB programming (Windows Only) as well as the occasional game. Also, I am Mr. Tech Support for everyone I know. So the fact that I run the latest of almost every OS is very helpful to me.

My netbook, I just keep something light and snappy on it. :D

17. daxomni macrumors 6502

I want the fastest system that works with most of the hardware and software I own and that means I'm still primarily a Windows XP user. I also use Snow Leopard and Windows Server 2K3 and whatever else I need to get the job done but most of the time I'm in Windows XP with all the visual bells and whistles turned off. I know this may sound crazy but for those of us who started with monochrome command lines Windows XP is already plenty flashy enough. I just want my programs to run as fast as possible without having to upgrade my perfectly functional hardware just to add a bit more visual pizazz. Windows XP is easy to use and easy to fix and easy on the wallet.

18. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I use Snow Leopard (10.6.2) on both my Macs - my wife's white Macbook and my old white iMac. However, I've been having issues lately (mostly Safari beach-balling A LOT), so I'll be doing a reformat on both machines. I was going to reinstall SL, but since BOTH machines have started this, I'm strongly considering going back to Leopard. Regardless, the re-do will happen over the Christmas holiday (I'm a teacher and am out for 2 1/2 weeks).

I use XP SP3 on both Macs for Boot Camp and Fusion - not used a lot, mostly just for a few games.

I have Windows 7 (64-bit) on a new laptop that I haven't received yet. I'll let you know how that goes once I get it... :D

19. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

10.5.8 at home, XP at work. Both on my Macbook.

20. outphase macrumors 65816

SL on my iMac
    Ubuntu 9.10 on my notebook
    When my Dell Mini 10v comes in, I'll throw SL on that as well.

21. mslide macrumors 6502a

I use what I feel is the best OS for the job. I wish I could say OSX for all of these, but I can't. For me, it comes down to:

General purpose computer stuff: OSX
    Software development: OSX unless I'm forced to do things the 'windows way'
    Gaming: Windows
    Home Theater PC / Media PC: Windows
    Servers: Either linux, freebsd or windows server depending on what I want it to do.

22. acxz macrumors regular

Snow Leopard on both my iMac and Macbook. I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my Macbook as well but barely ever use it (only to play Trackmania really).

23. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

You bought win7 ultimate just to play Trackmania? :eek: Surly thats a little excessive...

24. siorai macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard for most everything. Win 7 when I want to play games.

25. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

Snow Leopard

I haven't found a reason to warrant Windows since I switched almost two years ago