What is your old Mac that you've updated OS X on?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TallManNY, Sep 20, 2016.

1. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Can you chime in on your old Mac that you have updated OS X on? And can you tell us how the performance has been?

I've got a iMac 2011 which could be upgraded. And my friend has a Macbook Air 2010 which is, I believe, also eligible. I've suggested to my friend that she not upgrade right now. I'm going to investigate a bit before suggesting if she upgrades, hence this post. I'm holding off as well on my computer. Though for me it is less of an issue since I'm ready to buy a new computer. She wants to get another two years or more out of her computer and is just now loving the performance since I upgraded her ram to 8gb.

2. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

What are her reasons for wanting to upgrade?

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Something to be aware of…

The "modern" versions of the MacOS -- from Mavericks "on up" -- seem to have been designed to run best on Macs that have either an SSD or fusion drive.

Macs that have only a platter-based hard drive will still run these OS's, but the overall experience may seem more like the OS is "walking" instead of "running".
    It's the -drive-, not the amount of RAM, that makes the difference.

I realize that everyone's perception of performance is different, and that what may "seem slow" to me may not for you.

Since (in your examples above) the MacBook Air has an internal SSD, it might actually run better than the iMac (if the iMac has only an internal HDD).
    The only way to know is to try.

IMPORTANT:
    BEFORE you try an upgrade, I would advise you to create (on an external drive) a bootable cloned backup of your present system using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.
    IF you do this, and find that the upgrade is not to your liking, you will have a quick-n-easy way to "get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged" with the older OS...

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Ah, you also need to know if your friend's MBAir is one bought in 2010 (2009 MBAir was sold new until late 2010), or an actual 2010 MBAir.
    The 2009 is limited to 2GB maximum RAM, and the 2010 might have been ordered with 4GB. That can make a noticeable difference in how the MBAir will perform. (And, the 2009 would not be supported by Sierra anyway)
    Also, hard to compare that with your iMac, which COULD be upgraded to as much as 32GB of RAM, plus replacing the original hard drive with an SSD.
    Your friend will continue to be limited to the hardware as shipped. That may be more of an issue.
    So, unless you have an SSD in your iMac - as Fishrrman pointed out - it's possible that your friend might have an easier time with Sierra than you would.

5. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

The oldest Mac I have running currently is a 2007 iMac, I added 6GB of RAM and an old Samsung 830 Pro SSD and it's running El Cap fairly well.
    It is a guest room computer so it does it's job pretty well.

6. Tarek macrumors 6502

I am running El Capitan on my mid-2008 MacBook Pro and Mac OS Sierra on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro and they seem to be running just fine. The 2008 MBP does stutter a little bit, though, but that's very understandable considering it is 8 years old, which is the reason I decided to buy another MBP this year rather than a Windows computer since they age much better, despite their lower specifications.

7. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Actually it is a 2010 Macbook Pro. But she has no reason to upgrade even if this is a significant macOS upgrade. I've advised her to stay on El Capitan for now. She would rather not have the laptop slow down a lot. And if that means giving up large emojis and Siri, so be it. But I suppose this board we will find out how the new macOS works on older machines.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    Thanks. I misremembered. It is actually a Macbook Pro 2010. I upgraded her RAM to 8 gb and that breathed new life in it as it was sluggish on El Capitan with 4gb. It is a Core 2 Duo processor, so I believe a significantly slower processor than my i5 iMac. And my iMac has 12 gb of RAM and I'm running the OS on a Thunderbolt connected SSD. While the MacBook Pro has a spinning HD. With some surgery she could switch that spinning HD for an SSD. But before that is done, I'm skeptical about performance on macOS Sierra on it.

8. janitor3 macrumors regular

I run a 2011 Macbook Pro 13", upgraded it with 8gb Ram and a 240gb SSD. Upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra, no problems so far.

9. pennbank macrumors member

Macbook Pro early 2011

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B2C

SMC Version (system): 1.69f4

Running MacOS Sierra 10.12

Suffering from mac mail not always showing body of message. Otherwise all OK