What Is Your Overall Experience Based Opinion Of IOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by technosix, Feb 19, 2015.

1. technosix macrumors 6502a

Please check in with your opinion and experience with iOS 8, give us your overall opinion. Oh sure, they're lots of threads about specific issues, that's not the intent here.

Please DON'T bash iOS 8... That's not the intent of this post.

The_ Intent_ is to query the vast number users here about their honest, overall, day to day real world experience.

Below is one reviewers opinion. I'm including it since it's also about the overall experience with iOS 8. It speaks to Apple's highly promoted Slogan... "It Just Works."

"Five months on from the release of iOS 8, and following six rounds of bugfixes, Apple's flagship mobile platform that powers almost three out of four iPhone and iPads is still riddled with bugs.

I'm just going to come out and say it - this is a mess. If we were talking about cosmetic stuff like a badly laid out user interface or poor selection of wallpapers then I could overlook the issues, but they aren't. These are bugs relating to core systems such as Wi-Fi, cellular connectivity, Bluetooth, and stability and performance.

These are show-stopping bugs. These are bugs that quite frankly should have been sorted before iOS 8 was released, and definitely should have been pinned down after the first couple of updates.

But they aren't."

http://www.zdnet.com/article/five-months-on-and-ios-8-still-riddled-with-show-stopping-bugs/

2. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

There have been too many threads about this, that is my opinion.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have issues on my iPad Mini, but my iPhone 5S has been stable.

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I did not upgrade to an iPhone 6 when I needed an upgrade because of my experience on iOS 8, and the fact some of the problems I've had with the phone people are having on iPhone 6/6+.

5. Armen, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

This is the wrong place to look for accurate information because people who do not have issues with iOS 8 won't come here to express how great it works.

For What It's worth here's my list of devices on iOS 8

Mine:

iPhone 6+ : Works fine aside from some minor bugs that Apple will most likely hammer out in 8.x
    iPad mini (original): Sluggish at times but not unbearable.

Wife:

iPhone 5: Works fine she hasn't complained
    iPad 2: Works fine, she hasn't complained.

6. newellj macrumors 601

I will say that in this household we have a total of six iPhones ranging from 4S to 6 plus an iPad Air and rMini that are all on iOS 8 with no issues. Performance is as good as it was with 7.1.2. Out of caution, two iPad 2s and a gen 5 iPod Touch are still on 7.1.2, but based on reports about 8.1.3 results that's probably an excess of caution. Armen is right about people tending not to post if nothing's wrong.

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I'll post even though nothing is wrong. We have a total of four ipads and one iphone in the house. Once we got everyone on iOS 8.1.3, any of the niggling issues we were having went away. IOS 8 was a tad yucky when it first came out but is very stable now and even our iPad 2s run fine on it.

No complaints.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

So many people claim to have a smooth experience with iOS8 and it baffles me how this can happen. I have several showstopper bugs which frustrate me daily and no amount of clean installs or settings resets make them go away.

Safari - spinning data wheel on an extremely frequent basis. Only closing the app makes it go away...for a brief period.
    Webpages crash, swiping back and forth is laggy and then jumps several pages. Tabs reload. The whole thing crashes regularly. Web browsing on my 6+ is THE worst experience on my phone, and sadly the thing I do most.

iCloud - never backs up automatically. I have to do it manually.
    It also takes forever. I'm unsure if this is due to the fact I upgraded my storage space. It all worked 100% fine on my iPhone 5.

Landscape mode - this is pants on my 6+. Links sometimes fail to work, website rendering is often amiss, and I occasionally find myself 'stuck' in landscape mode - especially in the multitasking tray.

Battery life - very inconsistent since iOS 8.1.2. Some days good, some days lousy. Now I have pretty much the exact-same usage pattern (and locations) each day, so I can tell when something is amiss when it comes to battery life.

Screen freezing - this happens A LOT. The whole screen will become unresponsive for 5-10 seconds.

WiFi - constant dropouts when I have a weak signal. My old iPhone 5 would pick up the network again when it came back into range, but my 6+ stays on 4G until I manually re-join the network.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

As been established quite a few times, the vast majority of people aren't running into most or any of those issues.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I get that, but I am. My buddy has several of those issues with his 6+. The genius I went to see told me that he had several of those issues with his 6+ too. Mine checked out fine and he told me to wait for an upcoming iOS update.

I just don't see how so many of you can be experiencing none of these issues. I'm not disbelieving you, I totally understand that you aren't having any problems, but how come some of us are? What about the general concensus that iOS8 is a buggy mess? What about the general concensus that iOS8 on the 6+ is especially buggy? Why do some people seem to slip through the net and not run into any of these issues? I just don't understand it.

11. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Minor bugs, nothing absolutely horror story worthy.

I know its anecdotal, but we have a total of 4 devices running iOS 8 with no issues/minor bugs, and many people I personally know with iOS 8 say that they have little issues, so I really do think this "iOS 8 is the buggiest ever!" talk is highly exaggerated.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think after all this time and different discussions it's safe to say that, unfortunately, none of us understand why you (and some others) have these types of issues.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

ipad 2 and 5s on 8.1.3. Runs better than 7.1.2 imo.

Problems:

- intermittent copy/cut/paste issues in safari
    - *recently started: spinning wheel on some websites. I tend to think it's the website, why this happens on certain websites I don't know. Why after a month on 8.1.3 it started happening, I don't know.
    - still some landscape/portrait issues to be sorted out.
    - intermittently loses the password to my SSID on home router only.

14. newellj macrumors 601

I don't doubt your experience and I agree it's odd. If we were talking Android (or Windows) with widely varying hardware and firmware, it'd be easy to understand. Since we're talking about the same hardware and the same OS, it actually is odd. Presumably it's the result of different settings and different apps, but the degree of variation is far greater than you would ever expect.

15. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I have no idea if the theory I came to believe when flashing Roms on Android is true. But, there were always some with serious issues when they swore they flashed the Rom exactly the same way as those who had no issues. Even soft bricking their phone.

The belief was that not all phones are manufactured to the "EXACT" same hardware specs. In that there were "SMALL" variations to those specs during manufacturing. They still met Q&A, but were off enough to cause some folks issues.

That's what many of us believed who were long time users. I know Rooting or Jailbreaking isn't the same as just using your phone. But, it is the only thing that made sense.

I am not a current tech expert and my technical schooling goes back to the late 60's and 70's. But, we have all bought electronics that did not work right in some way or another while our buddy's unit worked fine.

That's my only answer to sunking. And my phone "is" error free except for the occasional Landscape sticking and not rotating back without a couple twists.

All in All it has been much better than my previous smartphones. I have never had an issue with any Update, where some have to include losing data.

So, to answer OP, very happy with iOS 8--:D

Just my opinion--:)

16. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Second that. I'm not experiencing any issues. My iPhone was shipped with 8.1 and there were a few bugs I noticed. After iOS 8.1.3 was released, my phone feels flawless.

17. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Generally quite smooth for me (5s and Retina iPad mini), with the occasional bug (third party keyboards, auto-reboots and freezing being the more annoying ones).

18. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

19. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

I can't stop laughing at such posts. In this thread are also some of the same kind.
    Do you really belief this nonsense what you're saying? Sorry, I promised myself not to answer such posts again but I have some spare time, so I'll give it a shot.

First of all, we are the tech nerds here - so probably around 1% of all iPhone and iPad users are using it to the same extent as we do.
    Secondly and foremost, do you really belief that all the tens of millions of iOS 8 users are experiencing show-stopping bugs?! I mean, common, you can't be serious. Every news outlet (no tech blogs, etc.) would be reporting about people who can't use their iPhones.

In my family we have an 5 iPhones, 2 iPads and 3 iPad Minis and none of my family member has ever complained about iOS 8.

And probably most of your problems (spinning wheel, freezing, etc.) are app related, website related or can be related to a bad cellular or WiFi connection (and no, not because of iOS!).

iOS 8 was great release and hadn't had any more real life bugs than iOS 7 (remember how slow iOS 7 was until March?).

20. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Had iOS8 on my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 from launch without any issues, more importantly my less tech savvy wife recently updated to iOS8 on her 5S and has been fine bar a couple of quirks due to the fact we still use the same iTunes\iCloud login on all three devices when i should probably have sorted it ages ago but never bothered but nothing changing a few settings didnt resolve. If there was any problems with it on her phone i would have been hearing about it and being told to fix it!

21. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

If you are using the same Apple ID because of Apps/Books/Songs purchases etc. you should really try Family Sharing.

22. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Yes i probably should but just never bothered as we just set up her original phone from years ago up on the same account and never had an issue. To be honest turning off a couple of settings means we've not really got any issues now to warrant messing about setting everything up on different accounts with family sharing.

23. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

opinion: half baked.

My 6+ is a work phone. All of the niggly little bugs prevent it from being my go-to device.

Photos, wifi, and orientation issues are my top 3 problems.