What is your predicted size for the new iPP?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by drewjonn, Dec 2, 2016.

?

How big do you think would the newly mid-size IPP be?

1. 10.5" (really??)

2. 10.9" (almost there)

3. Other size you can mention (something that makes more sense?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. drewjonn, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016

drewjonn macrumors regular

Wouldn't it be between the rumored 10.5" or 10.9"?

I still can't find the sense of releasing a 10.5" inch screen when there is a version only 0.8" smaller than that, unless they wanna discontinue the 9.7" version. I am sure I would barely see any difference between the 9.7" and the (projected) 10.5". The 10.9" makes more sense and even though I still find it barely makes a difference.

I'd even prefer something right in the middle, which is 11.3" just like the smallest MBA if I were to release that many size choices for just a serie of iPad. Especially that it might come without bezels, 11ish or 12 would sound perfect. Reason why I am getting an iPad is the idea of having a gadget with tablet's versatility for entertainments and capable of doing light to moderate tasks as a laptop. 12.9" is a bit too big for daily companion and 9.7" is way undersized to do tasks for me.

Anyways, can someone tell me why the hell would Apple even consider a 10.5" iPad when there is a size with almost no difference to it and not enough people thinking it sounds silly? Would you think 0.8" would even make a difference to add to the lineup?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

10.5" only makes sense if they shrink the bezels and fit the larger display into the same sized body as the current 9.7" iPads.

3. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I think because the bezel size shrinkage would be the benefit. Not sure why, but "people" seem to think that the space is wasted if it doesn't provide an active function.

4. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

So if the rumored bezel-less 10.5" iPad pro is gonna be the same physical size as the 9.7" iPad pro...why keep the 9.7" iPad pro at all? Two ipad pros that are physically the same size but one has no bezels? Just go with the 10.5". Have the iPad line up be the 12.9" iPad pro, the 10.5" iPad pro and the 7.9" iPad mini. Although I'd like the iPad mini to go pro as well. I think all the ipads should be able to use the apple pencil.

5. Borddeleau54 macrumors newbie

Well, I simply don't believe the rumors. If Apple release a middle size bezel free iPad then there's no reason not to do so with the upper class, top dog 12.9 inches. Bezel free or less bezel is new manufacturing technology and should only apply to top of the line pros since it arguably costs more for Apple to produce. Hence the logic that the priciest 12.9" should also provides a bezel free experience along with the 10.5"; but there's no rumors the largest iPad will also get this new technology. There's something wrong here. So either both will have a bezel free or none of them will.

Secondly, a screen just 0.8 inches more than the 9.7 iPad makes no sense because it simply isn't larger enough to make a difference.

Following those thoughts here's what my cristal is telling me: the 2017 9.7 inches will loose its "pro" label, will have the A9X processor and replace the Air line. And both the 10.5" and 12.9" will be the new pros with each having the bezel free chassis. Mark my words...
    --- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2016 ---
    ... and when I say "bezel free" I really mean a bezel shrinkage because there's no way to hold an iPad without any bezel. And really the more I think about it the less I think they will reduce the bezels of the pros unless IOS/display technology has made a huge and surprising step... So back to my first thought: the rumors are wrong.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'd be cool if Apple kept the 12.9" screen size on the big iPP and just shrunk the bezels. Big screen in a small package would be great. But... if they do that, that means having to re-buy accessories like the Smart Keyboard and silicone cases. Therefore, Apple will definitely do that, lol.

As for the standard sized iPad, I'd say they enlarge the screen and keep the same physical size.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am thinking about 15" would be cool :)

8. profets macrumors 68040

Honestly, once you start using an iPad as a 'desktop' replacement, having something 15" or larger would be quite cool.

9. Kostas3000 macrumors member

7.9 with minimal if any bezels

7.9 size ipad is the best in regards to portability

if they can maximize the screen size that fits in a device with the size of the current 7.9, this will be the best

10. millydog macrumors regular

millydog

I think that the reason for changing from 9.7" to 10.5" is because they now have the capability to put a bigger screen in the same or similar size chassis. Yes, this means that the bezels will decrease in size, but it would also mean that the 10.5 would now get the same number of pixels as the 12.9" in the 10.5" body and increase the ppi to the same as the iPad mini 2/3/4. So there would be a reason to do this. Higher resolution, more ppi, bigger screen, same or similar sized body.

11. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Its crazy how i was dumbfounded by how HUGE my 13 inch ipad was when I first got it. Then i got used to it...now whenever i go to costco and pick up a regular size ipad (9.7) i often mistake it for an ipad mini and can't believe i ever used it as my main computing device.

Now? If they could do some sorta bezel shrinking, i would be excited as hell to try an ipad with a 15 inch screen. If Apple really thinks ipad is the future of computing, they'll probably actually go this route. And add features like a docking solution for your computer monitor and keyboard (and maybe even use an iphone as a trackpad) and before ya know it, people are using ipads as their desktops.

I could imagine this future

12. profets macrumors 68040

I use a 9.7" Pro every day, yet when I go to the store and play with the 12.9" for a few minutes, this happens to me every time.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I'm not sure about the screen size, I agree with you that the next iPad Pro will be smaller than the current 9.7 inch one.

14. jumpingjackflash macrumors regular

While i still think that ipad air2 is quite powerfull enough for me, i been lately having this feeling that 9.7" screen is just not enough anymore. Maby in 2011 it was plenty enough, but now its allmost 2017 and trying to use split screen is just not pleasant.

I hope Apples next release is 10.9" Or above with shrinked bezels&lightest body possible...current 12.9 is way too heavy.

15. drewjonn thread starter macrumors regular

If they wanna significantly reduce the bezel's size, then 10.9" would be much adequate to replace the current 9.7". Body size between 10.5 and 10.9 screen would not affect anything, thus people can get a screen above one inch larger in exchange for an overall size that is unnoticeable. Turning screen size from 9.7 to 10.5 is nothing substantial for me.

16. Lisat78 macrumors member

I think they'll continue to have two iPad lines:

1) Revised versions of the current mini and Air 2, although they may ditch the 'mini' and 'air' monikers and simply refer to them as 'iPad 7.9 and iPad 9.7' as per current Pros. They may reduce the price on these to make them more budget friendly.

2. The Pro line: a 10.5 (if they want to keep the 9.7 chassis)/10.9 and the current 12.9. Possibly also a 7.9 Pro too. That would give a decent gap between each screen size, even the 10.5, and remove the oddity of two very close screen sizes within the same lineup.

We may see further Pro-friendly features and accessories to differentiate the two and in a perfect world there'd be additional features in iOS too. I too would love to see some kind of trackpad functionality; not necessarily system wide, but perhaps allow the use of an iphone as suggested above to give a 'trackpad' within apps that already give that with the two-finger gesture. The present status quo is a pain when using an external keyboard.

17. Math889 macrumors 65816