what is your preferred torrent program for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gelatin, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gelatin macrumors 6502

i currently have azeurus but i get stinky speeds. the fastest ive got tonight is about 90 something kb :(

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I use azeurus.

The speed thing isn't really related to the program* you are using more the quality of the torrent.

* although you are more likely to get the best speeds on azeurus due to it's configurability

3. tnsxsear macrumors member

BitRocket has been working flawlessley with the exception of one little bug. Its a beta release so I would expect great things in the near future. Ive gotten a few torrents to download as fast as 300+kbs. I think it depends more on the torrent than the program used to download.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. weckart macrumors 68040

BitRocket has not been updated in yonks. It is pretty much dead, no? I liked it, but very unstable. Select a torrent that has been downloading for a while in the list, and the app crashes immediately.

Transmission is almost there, with some nifty additional features.

6. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Transmission all the way. Once got Ubuntu in 13 mins!
    Of course, it took about half that to decide OS X was the better form of UNIX.
    :D

7. Millwood macrumors regular

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Transmission definitely. It does everything I want from a client (although it doesn't have XT's awesome UI) and is very light and simple...

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Based on this statement i just downloaded transmission and with the same torrent it is only getting 70-80KBs where as Az is getting 200-250KBs

10. Johnny D macrumors newbie

11. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

i have azeurus at the moment, does anyone knnow any ways to optimize the download speed?
    and why are some letters missing and replaced with a U in a square?

12. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Transmission. Definately.

That said, does anyone know if this utorrent port is still happening?: :confused:

13. Particular macrumors member

Transmission is the best but without Peer Guardian working on Leopard the only real safe choice at the moment is azureus

14. bingefeller macrumors 6502

15. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

16. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

This should probably be a poll.

Add me to the list of satisfied Transmission users. Once they added the ability to selectively download files from within a Torrent it became the perfect torrent app for me: fast, small and stable.

17. kelsey8100 macrumors newbie

Help

why does'nt azureus work for me. I downloaded it ok. and mounted. But when I try to open it, it shows up in the dock for a sec or two then goes away. what am I doing wrong?

18. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

I would use Transmission myself...except it's always been buggy for me

Azureus works just as well (if not better) and i haven't had any problems with it so far

If you can have Transmission without it f***ing up your computer, like it did mine, then it's the best...any lack of speed you may find are made up for by the lightness of the program

19. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

transmission by far the lightest, quickest, and easiest way to go

20. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I like how people seem to think switching a client will automatically and magically change speed.

It depends on who the client is connecting too, what time of day, etc...
    It is very hard to make a fair test -- but Az is a big resource hog is nothing else.

I try to use Transmission, but sometimes you need PeerGuard that comes with Az...

I still would suggest Transmission.

(and for a really bare bones client, Tomato Torrent has always been there for me, but it's really bare bones, lol)

21. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

the above poster is right. the client itself doesn't determine speeds. it's all about seeds and location.

i just like transmission b/c it is so simple and neat. very easy and has a cool icon lol

22. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

the problem with transmission is you cant select only certain files to download instead of it automatically downloadiing the whole lot.

does anyone know how to make my speeds faster?
    my speeds for this torrent are so slow despite 17 seeds connected and 27 peers.
    [​IMG]

also why are there those stupid symbols? it makes it hard to work things out

23. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Just make sure there are a lot of seeders and peers for the file, at least 5-10 of each and then you should get pretty good speeds.

24. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

25. RU5TY macrumors newbie

Actually you can select which files to download out of a folder using transmission (which is my choice btw, never had problems with it besides speed, but that's more a problem with the actual torrent.)
    Usually when downloading a folder, there is a folder icon next to the title and status bar of whatever you are downloading, under this icon is a little star thing with a down-arrow next to it, click that arrow and a list pops up that shows all of the files you are downloading, and you can uncheck any that you don't want or need.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.