Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your primary email service?

• iCloud

Votes: 94 22.0%
  • Microsoft Exchange (excluding Google Sync/ActiveSync)

Votes: 20 4.7%
  • Hotmail/ActiveSync

Votes: 17 4.0%
  • Gmail/Google Sync

Votes: 232 54.2%
  • Yahoo

Votes: 24 5.6%
  • AOL

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 39 9.1%

• Total voters

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I guess gmail is my primary service because I use it as my 'throw-away' service. It's the one I use for all online sign ups, online purchases, etc. I use a .live account for all my banking and friends and family stuff. I never give it out willy-nilly. By doing that I never get spam or junk in that account.

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
My university account is exchange so that's my most common email service. Otherwise my personal account is Gmail and my 'spam' account is Hotmail.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
My main account is my iCloud account, formerly my MobileMe account, formerly my .Mac account, formerly my iTools account. I've had it for a while now :)

I only use it on sites that I trust, or give it to people that I personally know. My 'trashy' account that I use for most other stuff is a gmail account. I also have my university e-mail, based on gmail, and my work, which is an exchange account.

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
Gmail is my primary account (set up through the Exchange).

I may think about having everything forwarded to my iCloud account. Not sure if I want to do that or not.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Gmail, as it has more features. What people don't realize is that gmail can give you selective push. With icloud mail, every incoming message can cause your iOS device to beep or whatever. With gmail, you can control which messages make sounds.

(Well, OK, there is a kludgearound for icloud to get similar functionality, but it's awful.)

tirk

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Wimbledon, UK
Hosted IMAP account. I'm amazed at how many people trust Google or MS with their emails (and their contents), TBH.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Other: fastmail.us

Excellent service over the past eight years or so I have been with them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
iCloud for me, but I'm probably going to go to my own domain in the near future.

From what I've heard apple is going to push those of us iCloud users who still have a @mac email address over to @me. That's bad enough, but their uptime percentage for iCloud and before that mobileme is horrid. So if I have to change my email address it might as well be to something that I have some control over.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Edit: I actually don't know how ActiveSync works, so I just paired it with Hotmail.
ActiveSync isn't really a type of mail account. Exchange uses ActiveSync as does Hotmail, Live, and "Google as Exchange". "As Exchange" means ActiveSync.

Exchange should not be grouped with Google. Exchange requires an Exchange server. Gmail and Google Apps accounts are not hosted on Exchange servers.

Where are options for IMAP and POP accounts? Both are very widely used.

Poll is pointless until it is corrected. You need to sort out whether you're asking about the type of email account or how they're connected (e.g. Hotmail can be ActiveSync or POP, Gmail can be ActiveSync, IMAP or POP).

Do you use MS exchange or something else?
Exchange is an MS product. You can't have a non-MS Exchange server.

reason I ask, I was looking into this at one time to host my own email, but the software is expensive. I ended up hosting on google apps.
There's another option that is frequently overlooked: hosted Exchange. I use Apptix.

Last edited:

Block

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
ActiveSync isn't really a type of mail account. Exchange uses ActiveSync as does Hotmail, Live, and "Google as Exchange". "As Exchange" means ActiveSync.

Exchange should not be grouped with Google. Exchange requires an Exchange server. Gmail and Google Apps accounts are not hosted on Exchange servers.

Where are options for IMAP and POP accounts? Both are very widely used.

Poll is pointless until it is corrected. You need to sort out whether you're asking about the type of email account or how they're connected (e.g. Hotmail can be ActiveSync or POP, Gmail can be ActiveSync, IMAP or POP).

Exchange is an MS product. You can't have a non-MS Exchange server.

There's another option that is frequently overlooked: hosted Exchange. I use Apptix.

It isn't grouped with Google though.

Just treat Hotmail/ActiveSync as if it was "Hotmail/Hotmail using ActiveSync" if it makes the poll more correct.

The poll options are based on the choice you use when you add a mail account through the iOS interface, the exception being if you use an exchange like service such as with Google Sync.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
It depends...

On what I am using it for. Here is my list:

- one address for all bills and/or personal finance related e-mails
- one address for all on-line correspondences such as web forums, online forms, etc.
- one address for personal usage between family and friends.
- one account dedicated to Craigslist sales
- one address for my work Exchange account
- one account for a non-profit organization I support
- a me.com account that has been migrated to iCloud, but have never used it for anything other than Apple related communications such as Genius appointments, iTunes purchases, etc.
- One other that I use for just communications with my ISP.

Other than the types specifically mentioned above, these accounts include both ISP provided and Gmail accounts. The worst part of my ISP accounts is that they are still POP3 accounts so when I delete an e-mail on my ISP account, I still get it on my Mac and iPhone. :mad:

All in all I have about 8 e-mail accounts on my iPad. I have considered migrating some of my usage to my me.com account (especially since my ISP accounts are still POP3 and difficult to manage across multiple devices), but I have yet to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.