Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Imagine you could ONLY keep 1 Apple product, which would it be? How about 2? Maybe even 3? Prioritize all the apple products that you own starting from the very top!

Ground rules
* Assume each product (i.e. Apple watch) can be used independently (to a basic extent) without another device requirement
* Start from the top and work down. If iPad is your number 1, but you'd rather pick a iPhone/mac combo if you could have two, then you've gotta go iPad first and then choose a number 2
* You are still able to use competitors products, so even if a smartphone is your #1 device you could still pick a Mac as your #1 (under the assumption that you'd just get an android or something)
* You can be specific and even repeat devices (i.e. 1. iPad Pro 10.5 2. iPad Pro 12.9 3. iPad Pro 10.5) or just keep it generic (iPad, Mac, iPhone) as you see fit, but I'm keeping it generic for my purposes
* Ideally this would be a breakdown of the devices you actually own, but if, upon analysis, you realize that you'd rather have a slightly different assortment of devices that's fine.

My Priority
1) iPhone
2) Apple Watch
3) iPad
4) Airpods *don't currently own*
----------------------------------------------
5) Mac
6) Apple TV
7) HomePod *don't currently own*

The items below the line are Apple products that I currently have no plan to purchase/upgrade going forward.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What is the criteria that you would use for determining that priority?
What you like? or, what you prefer to use in day-to-day use?
Or, the "fun" systems, but not related to use? I have a Macintosh TV (NOT Apple TV) which is fun to show off, but not really usable/useful today. Not a priority for me, but I would never give it up. How would you list THAT kind of Apple product?
Bottom line - I can LIST all my Apple products (last time I counted was about 5 years ago, about 25 at that time), but priority is not something that I could assign to any, other than "If you could take only one with you, which one would that be?" For me, it might be the one that is easiest to take. THAT priority would be simple, but wouldn't be the one that I use the most (which remains an eMac, considering that I have two in daily use, and either one would NOT be one that I would take on a trip (way too heavy!), and would also not be one that I would choose for an extensive internet search (too slow now), and not particularly well suited for a lot of modern computer tasks, but would be at the top of my list for systems that I like :cool:
So, which Apple product would I travel with? iPhone. But it would be well down my priority list of all my Apple products, but I am not sure how I would assign priorities. It all depends on ... (what?)

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
What is the criteria that you would use for determining that priority?
What you like? or, what you prefer to use in day-to-day use?
Or, the "fun" systems, but not related to use? I have a Macintosh TV (NOT Apple TV) which is fun to show off, but not really usable/useful today. Not a priority for me, but I would never give it up. How would you list THAT kind of Apple product?
Bottom line - I can LIST all my Apple products (last time I counted was about 5 years ago, about 25 at that time), but priority is not something that I could assign to any, other than "If you could take only one with you, which one would that be?" For me, it might be the one that is easiest to take. THAT priority would be simple, but wouldn't be the one that I use the most (which remains an eMac, considering that I have two in daily use, and either one would NOT be one that I would take on a trip (way too heavy!), and would also not be one that I would choose for an extensive internet search (too slow now), and not particularly well suited for a lot of modern computer tasks, but would be at the top of my list for systems that I like :cool:
So, which Apple product would I travel with? iPhone. But it would be well down my priority list of all my Apple products, but I am not sure how I would assign priorities. It all depends on ... (what?)

I'm sorry I thought I made it clear... Maybe I'll try rephrasing it...

Imagine 100% of your Apple products were destroyed. Now you can only purchase ONE Apple product and the remaining necessary products would have to be replaced by competitors products (android, windows, etc). Which Apple product would you choose? So it's sort of like the product (in your mind) where Apple provides the largest competitive advantage over the others, the product you'd least like to replace. That's your #1. Fill your remaining priorities in the same way.

So it's not the most fun, or the most used, or related to the product category, but the product that you would choose the most above the competition.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Ah, well, that's different. (not even a question in that case)
If ALL my Apple products were destroyed, (approximately 30 different devices!) that would mean serious issues on the rest of the house, as I have products and boxes scattered in various locations in my house. I suspect that I would have OTHER repair needs as a priority before considering replacing computers and technology. (I have a life outside of Apple, too!) So - at least in my case - Apple would be gone.
I do find it difficult to imagine the circumstances where 100% of my Apple products were destroyed. Some are in the separate garage, so unlikely anything, outside of a mudslide, would take everything at once.
So, I call "invalid question."

Reactions: hobowankenobi

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Ah, well, that's different. (not even a question in that case)
If ALL my Apple products were destroyed, (approximately 30 different devices!) that would mean serious issues on the rest of the house, as I have products and boxes scattered in various locations in my house. I suspect that I would have OTHER repair needs as a priority before considering replacing computers and technology. (I have a life outside of Apple, too!) So - at least in my case - Apple would be gone.
I do find it difficult to imagine the circumstances where 100% of my Apple products were destroyed. Some are in the separate garage, so unlikely anything, outside of a mudslide, would take everything at once.
So, I call "invalid question."
I can’t decide if I should throw up the largest facepalm known to mankind or report you for trolling. You seem to be blatantly and intentionally misunderstanding the purpose of my post. I reframed it as the Apple products being destroyed to help you get to the root of what I meant by prioritizing your Apple products by importance.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I had no intent to appear as if trolling. We simply think differently. I have been using Apple products for more than 25 years. I enjoy them, but none are important enough that I would replace any if all were intentionally destroyed.
So, I initially thought that the premise of assigning a priority for replacement in that case was faulty.
Perhaps I was mistaken in that viewpoint.
I will not comment further here :cool:

Jaffaman27

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Easy..

iMac
It's used all day for work and it would be really hard to imagine a life without it.

Others can go and I wouldn't worry about them too much..
Currently have iPhone 6, Macbook Air, Mac Mini, iPad Mini, Apple TV etc.

Reactions: vkd

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Have to go with my MacBook or my MacBook Pro from work. I tried switching to Windows a couple years ago, but couldn't make it happen. I could get away with an Android phone. My watch is nice, but a bit of an extravagance. If I used my iPad more, that would be a consideration since I haven't seen an Android tablet anywhere close to competing, but I don't use it as much. I love my AirPods so those would be up there (thanks to the "can use independently" clause).

Mac
AirPods
iPhone
Apple Watch
iPad
Apple TV

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
At this stage in the game, I'm letting manufacturers set the priority and I will adjust my purchases accordingly. I am not locked into any vendor.

Reactions: arkitect

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Imagine 100% of your Apple products were destroyed. Which Apple product would you choose?

I know I am not answering your question, but… if all my Apple tech was destroyed in some freak occurrence, I probably would not replace any of them.

I'd go fresh and go Windows and Android. From the ground up.

Like I said, probably not answering your question, but that's what I would do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.