what is your shortest period of time between

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by robindahlia789, Mar 18, 2009.

1. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

MAC purchases. just out of curiosity? i have a UMB that i purchased around Christmas and now i see the prices for refurb imacs are nice and wanna jump at it. Is it too soon since i just got a new macbook? let me know!

2. jciapara macrumors regular

Mine was 5+ years, although it's my first change, not the shortest, but the only one. I Still have it working though!

3. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

About 4 years for me.

I was working with an old Powerbook, and still would have continued with that if it hadn't been stolen.

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

1 month.

i got a new UMB from Apple for myself (xmas) and then traded my Vox AC30 for a Mac mini :)

5. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Ipods everytime a new touch comes out. Before that, once a year. Mac's i'v only ever had this one. But so far its 2 years

6. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

3 months

but that was for my first laptop, when i was setting up the house with macs. my next mac purchase after that was 2 years.

But the answer for you is...if you want, and can afford it...buy it

7. robindahlia789 thread starter macrumors regular

i have enough to buy a new macbook pro but the guilt gets to me when i spend any money....lol

8. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I generally get a new Mac every year or so. There's always someone on eBay willing to pay a hefty price tag for a year old mac with a year of warranty remaining.

9. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

ahhh...well in that case you don't NEED it i'm assuming...and just WANT it ;)
    (it's alright i WANT everything on the apple store :p )

don't get it...if you really need a new desktop, go for it

10. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

If I sell my MacBook Pro about 2 months. I jumped on the business customer Mac Pro deal as I could not say no. Having a MacBook Pro and Mac Pro just seems like a bit much :p

11. robindahlia789 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah the idea of having the macbook and macbook pro would make having the macbook irrelevant

12. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Well, I've only personally owned one Mac, I've had it since November of '07 - I plan on upgrading to the new 24" iMac when Snow Leopard comes out.

(Currently I have the base model 20" iMac from the day Leopard came out, 2.0Ghz Core 2, 4 GB 667Mhz RAM, 250 GB HD, 800 FDB I think)

13. robindahlia789 thread starter macrumors regular

well my recent desktop did explode when i plugged it in
    no wonder they have a quote ''windows- plug N pray''

14. MCHR macrumors regular

Got my G4 450 in 1999, then the G5 dual 2.5 in 2005, so 6 years there.

Now, it's been four years almost to the day, and I'm staring down the barrel of a new Mac Pro.

5 years average.

15. hpcf28 macrumors newbie

I purchased my first mac (a white macbook) in October of 2007, which I kept for a year before I upgraded to a unibody. My plan is to keep this one for at least 2-3 years before I upgrade again.

16. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I once bought a white Macbook on craigslist (traded my old Dell laptop + $200 cash) and sold it two weeks later also on craigslist at a small profit (less than $100).

I just didn't like it. I already had an iMac at the time, so it wasn't the OS. It was just that the macbook felt like a toy with the white plastic, it's screen wasn't that great, and it just overall didn't jive well with me.

The original person who I bought it from needed a PC for work, which is why he was happy to trade the macbook for my Dell (even though originally he just wanted to sell it and buy a new PC).

The other guy I sold it to loved the thing, so I guess it was win-win-win.

About a month later the MacBook Air was released and I used the money from the sale toward the purchase of that (which lasted about 8 months until I sold it and used the money for a new aluminum macbook).

17. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

October, and today. From a last gen MacBook Pro which never left the desk, to a maxed-out Mac Mini :)

18. robindahlia789 thread starter macrumors regular

how's the mini working for you?

19. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

The shortest period of time was about 4 years, with my average time between purchases being 4.5 years.

20. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

In transit ... :D can't wait!

21. jovanboi macrumors member

Think it varies depending on the machine. I previously had an Ibook G4 since 2004 until about January this year. Hopefully I won't need to purchase another laptop for another 4 or 5 years.