What is your take on NEW AppleCare+ ($99) for iPhone???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iRobby, Oct 4, 2011.

1. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Yes, AppleCare+ not AppleCare...

Now AppleCare is offering anew plan for ($99) vs ($69)

The difference?

Accidental Damage Protection!

Apple on Tuesday introduced AppleCare+ for iPhone, a new extended warranty service that combines traditional tech support, software support, and hardware support with the addition of the company's first accidental damage plan.

Like the traditional $69 version of AppleCare for iPhone that it replaces, the new $99 AppleCare+ for iPhone extends an iPhone's repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date but also adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to an owner's poor handling of the device.

Each accidental damage incident is subject to a $49 service fee and is available only for the iPhone and its original included accessories. In turn, Apple promises that the replacement equipment it provides to customers taking advantage of the "may be new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability" -- meaning either a new iPhone or a certified refurbished one.

AppleCare+ also bundles standard AppleCare features, such as software troubleshooting and telephone-based technical support, while also offering customers with repair needs the option for mail-in or carry-in repairs, and an express replacement service.

iPhones that exhibit defects in materials, workmanship or see their battery charge fall by 50 percent or more from original specification, remain eligible for a replacement from Apple at no cost under the new plan. Apple also notes that customers must purchased AppleCare+ together with their new iPhone, with the safest bet being to have both items appear on the same receipt (fine print).

2. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

3. troop231 macrumors 603

I think it's great for clumsy people, or people who hang onto their phones through the full two years. If you upgrade every year I don't see it being worthwhile IMO.

4. zipster macrumors 6502

So does this mean they will stop being generous with free replacements?

5. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

I will get it. I hope they get it for other devices as well.

6. Gavernty macrumors 6502

I would assume that this is going to be the case

7. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Great news! Since the iPhone is glass, it'll break a lot. Now we can have it covered by AppleCare+ for a nominal fee.

That was sarcasm. I don't see what was wrong with the way they did it before? All this is in my eyes is a way to profit from their poor material choice.

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Isn't water damage accidental as well...most of the time at least?

I am happy that Apple came out with this, it is needed as I am about ready to plop down $649 for the unlocked device. If SquareTrade can beat this price, then I will definitely go for them.

The fee is normal, its called a deductible, and $150 to replace a $700+ device is a good deal if it was my own fault.

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

thanks to having an additional "emergency line" on my family plan, I never keep a phone for more than a year (this year would have been the exception but I switched over to WP7 last november), so upgrading to a 2 year plan isn't worth it for me.

11. MacFan1701 macrumors member

I like the idea of ApleCare covering accidental damage HOWEVER, my issue with this is that we pay TWICE (or three times) for accidental damage coverage. The first time being the $30 difference between AppleCare and AppleCare+ and the second time being the surcharge for the repair itself. I have no problem paying a little extra for repairs. But, either charge us extra for the service in its entirety or for the individual repairs, but not both.

12. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Anyone know if you can wait up to a year before buying the Applecare + like you can with other forms of AC?

I don't know if I'd jump on the offer... but it sure would be nice in the event that you drop your phone and it breaks ~ 8 months into ownership. You could then buy AC+ after the accident, and take it in... Not necessarily super kosher, but a good way to save some $$$ in the case of an accident.

13. NoHo macrumors 6502

You have to pay $99 for Applecare+ in case something happens to your phone, then another $49 when something does happen? So let's say your phone breaks twice in two years, you're paying $200 to have it fixed?

Sounds like a ripoff to me.

14. MacFan1701 macrumors member

Unfortunately, for AppleCare+, I believe you have to buy it at the same time as your iPhone and on the same receipt.

15. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Try reading the first post in this very thread...

16. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Derp. I normally yell at people for that. My bad, and my apologies. I lost interest by the final paragraph ;p

17. ap3604 macrumors 68000

This deal is just trying to nab extra money from clumsy suckers... nothing more.

18. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

If you don't buy the applecare+ $99 plus $49 deductable, you can still have the lifetime out of warranty repair for $199, I will chance it with the later.:D

19. dmo1028 macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if Applecare+ will be available at the point of sale to those who purchase from their carrier? Seems Apple would need to provide a window of opportunity if you don't purchase at the Apple Store.

20. benfica88 macrumors regular

If I get a 64GB then it's def worth it for me. The out of pocket for that iPhone will probably be $800+.

21. npep macrumors member

I would love for someone to do a comparison of AppleCare+, SquareTrade and even what the major Credit Card companies offer. I know many credit card companies have accidental damage replacement.

Anyone want to tackle those for me?

Thanks in advance...

22. rorschach, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

But don't forget: the AppleCare+ also includes all the regular in-warranty coverage of AppleCare.

How it works now with regular AppleCare:

-Pay $69 for the plan
    -Accidental, out-of-warranty damage: $200 for the replacement
    -In-warranty repairs: free

How AppleCare+ works:

-Pay $99 for the plan
    -Accidental, out-of-warranty damage: $49 each for two replacements
    -In-warranty repairs: free

Before, you had to pay $69 for the AppleCare plan and another $200 for a single out-of-warranty replacement.

Now you get the two-year AppleCare plan and all its coverage, plus two out-of-warranty replacements, for the price of a single OOW replacement (with no other coverage) under the old AppleCare.

If you get one out-of-warranty replacement under AppleCare+, you're saving 45% ($99+$49 vs $69+199); if you get two, you're saving almost 60% ($99+$49+$49 vs $69+$199+$199).

It's actually a great deal.

23. batman75 macrumors 6502

It's the same price as Squaretrade so I say its a good deal.

But I would prefer a policy which includes loss/theft. For me that's more likely than breaking it.