Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
I'm wondering if there is a speed increase from Mac OS 10.1 to 10.2 in terms of VPC preformance. An estimate on this performance is by finding the emulated processor speed. Heres how you find it...

In the control panel, open system. The "processor" info in the lower right section.

If that doesn't work, then try this...
1. Click 'Start Menu' then choose 'run'
2. Then type 'dxdiag' and press enter.

That should work as well.

My 550 MHz AMD Processor on my laptop is only a 347 MHz according to this...so it seems quite accurate. (My laptop is almost as slow as my 200 MHz desktop)

So...who has the best emulated speed? Please add your computer info as well, and also the os you're using (9.2.2, 10.1.5, 10.2, VPC 4.0, VPC 5.0.4...etc.)

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I am running V5.0.4 and OSX.2 with Win2K pro and all I get is "ConnectixCPU P6, MMX"

LOL, I am running the new, unreleased Pentium 6.
;)

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
LOL, I am running the new, unreleased Pentium 6.

Don't go telling any PC friends about it, they'll all be jealous, especially when you tell them how fast it spins.

Seriously though, I believe the Pentium 4 is called the P7 on paper so I'm guessing you're running a virtual Pentium 3. That's not so bad, I think VPC running on my beige G3 is about on a level with a ZX81 although it feels more like an abacus, I suppose I should get VPC 5 with Windows 2000 or XP eventually but I only use it for Kazaa so I can put up with it being sluggish for now.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by barkmonster

Don't go telling any PC friends about it, they'll all be jealous, especially when you tell them how fast it spins.

Seriously though, I believe the Pentium 4 is called the P7 on paper so I'm guessing you're running a virtual Pentium 3. That's not so bad, I think VPC running on my beige G3 is about on a level with a ZX81 although it feels more like an abacus, I suppose I should get VPC 5 with Windows 2000 or XP eventually but I only use it for Kazaa so I can put up with it being sluggish for now.

You know there is an Kazaa app for MacOSX. I know it's not a full client but it works great for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.