What iTunes Settings.....

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by RonW., Apr 27, 2014.

1. RonW. macrumors newbie

Hard wire cable is in one room with time machine.
    iMac computer is in another room.
    2 channel stereo is in the den with an apple airport express in line. I can stream music from my iPhone or iPad to the airport express and run it through the 2ch stereo with no problems. Now I can see my entire iTunes library via home sharing, thanks guys again.

Now, what's the skinny on aiff, mp3's, apple lossless, flack...??? please explain in layman's term so I can understand.

I don't know much about this, but what is the best settings in iTunes for importing cd's to run through the above system?

Thanks in advance....

RonW.

2. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Since you are only using iTunes (at least at moment it seems so), might as well stick with Apple's alternative to the lossless format.

Lossless formats are uncompressed files.. a direct-from-CD rip. They are relatively large files in terms of capacity.

Lossy formats are AAC, MP3, etc. The general recommendation for AAC is that it retains a bit rate of 256kbps whereas MP3 is generally recommended to be 320kbps.

My personal recommendation is that if you can afford the space, stick with lossless codecs. AIFF is a similar format to a WAV. ALAC (Apple Lossless) is similar to FLAC. There are some enthusiast who will claim that the only best format is AIFF and WAV. I personally think this difference becomes aware in higher end audio setups, so you should not be able to discern a difference.

If you cannot afford the space for your music, AAC (256kbps) will serve you well.

Hope that helps! :)

3. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Go with Apple Lossless. You will not lose any sound quality compared to WAV and AIFF.

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Actually to be more precise ALAC will be 100% bit for bit identical to the WAV/AIFF file.