What iwould be the best used mac to buy

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maclover12, Feb 13, 2012.

1. maclover12 macrumors newbie

I am looking to get a mac for school that i am going to change the hard dive and upgrade the memory which mac would be the easiest to do that with?:confused:

2. simsaladimbamba

3. maclover12 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I am just using word safari and playing games would I be ok with a ssd and 8gb of memory?

4. simsaladimbamba

You would be okay with 4 GB, unless you have dozens upon dozens of tabs open in Safari.
    It also depends on the games you play, if they are Flash based (CPU intensive) or actual installable games like Skyrim or something, as they are often highly GPU dependent, and the MacBooks are not made for gaming, though the newer ones with the Nvidia integrated graphics processor (IGP) are quite okay.

I guess you have a budget and already some model in mind?

5. maclover12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i want to build my own desktop and the leftover money will be spent on a laptop. i want the last model of the white macbook. are those pretty quick?

6. simsaladimbamba

Yes, for your needs (except maybe the gaming, depending what you mean with gaming) they are quick enough and an SSD and more RAM will definitely help.

7. maclover12 thread starter macrumors newbie

What i mean by gaming is that playing games from the app store and some online. Also would you buy one used if it is in great shape?

8. simsaladimbamba

Games from the app store and online have system requirements, look for them, though online games are often Flash based, thus you might get away with an older model.
    As said before, the MacBooks with the Nvidia IGPs have better graphical capabilities, which limits your purchases to 2009 and 2010 MacBooks.

I don't know, if I would buy a used MacBook though, as I am more the MacBook Pro type, though I probably will have to at some point, as I will not buy 2012 or later Macs (as they come with Lion).

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

9. maclover12 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thank you very much! so snow is better than lion

10. simsaladimbamba

For me it is.
    Some people have problems with Lion, especially with the removal of Spaces.
    Imagine going from this
    [​IMG]
    to this
    [​IMG]
    if you are a person actually using so many virtual desktops. But for most consumers, and especially for your usage, Mission Control (Lion) is more than fine.

Also have a look at this:

11. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I run lion on my late 2011 MBP and love it. MY previous machine a 2008 MacBook ran Snow Leopard. I actually prefer Lion it is a very smooth operating system. While the loss of spaces is unfortunate, the way lion has it setup is still very user friendly. So either way it depends on what you like and is very subjective everyone will have different opinions on it.