What jobs pay $10/hr?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lava Lamp Freak, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

My past experience is working in web development, and my last job paid $20 an hour. I've been unemployed for a while now and have wasted so much of my savings it is making me sick. I still have savings left and have moved in with my parents since paying for an apartment would have suck my funds dry rather quickly. So, I'm not in trouble yet, but my savings won't last forever since I still do have debt I'm paying.

Back in October I started applying for any office jobs that pay $10/hr - $15/hr I could find, but haven't got any responses so far. I'm also applying for customer service and call center type jobs, but have no experience in those fields, and the market here is very competitive due to the massive layoffs we keep having. Anyone have any recommendations on areas I should be looking but may have overlooked? I really don't want to go work at Target but I'm starting to think that is all that is left for me in this world. And I'm not even sure I'd be able to get a job there.

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

I know they have been cutting some jobs and locations, but as an undergrad I started at Home Depot for $10.50/hr.

3. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I'm currently in college, so I make $8/hour working at school and then I also work at Sears where I make $10.90/hour.

4. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

5. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Home Depot just laid off 7,000 people.

6. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I don't really have an answer for you, but this does remind me of just yesterday when I went to lunch.

I grabbed a quick bite by myself at a local sandwich shop. I went rather late so the place was pretty dead. Right after I ordered, a group of about eight or nine people walked in. One was the hiring manager for a retail chain that will remain nameless (but a very high end one - not The Gap or Radioshack or anything). The rest were there for a group interview.

As I finished my meal, I couldn't help but overhear. We were the only ones there, after all.

The first thing the hiring manager said was, "I want to make something clear before we begin the group interview, and won't take offense if any of you leave. Though not our normal practice, we're asking all new hires to start at minimum age, regardless of past experience. This is now standard policy and there's no room for negotiation. You'll find that nearly all retailers in the area are following the same practice." And not a one of them left, or even objected.

Anyway, I was pretty surprised by this. I guess $10 an hour isn't as easy to get as I thought it might be nowadays...

7. gibbz macrumors 68030

Probably a lot of those came from the Expo locations which they are closing, or they are legacy employees making upwards of $15-$20/hour or more.

8. Lava Lamp Freak thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats exactly what my dad told me to look at, either Home Depot or Lowes. I didn't realize their hourly rate was that high. I've also thought about applying at Kinkos or UPS Store. Does anyone know if their hourly rate is that high?

9. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Apple retail pays more than $10/hour for every position.

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

My parents own a UPS store that my brother works at Full time. We don't hire anybody for over 9.25 starting.
    If they stay for 2-3 months, and are a good employee, we'll bump 'em up.

It really matters on each store though.

11. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

Trader Joe's is a good company. They pay well, and they're doing much better than most companies right now.

12. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

13. toaster_oven macrumors regular

book stores - if they are still hiring. You might try getting a job at a library... or something in a federal government agency (the US government might be the only place that is hiring in the near future).

I know the post office pays pretty well...

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

It does. I work for the USPS, but I'm not sure right now is the best time to be looking for a job with us, especially with the PMG trying to go down to 5 days of delivery to save money. But I'll echo the federal government job suggestion. http://www.usajobs.gov/

15. Andyee85 macrumors member

FedEx Kinkos starts at over 10/hr for most areas. For my area it starts at 12.80/hr

16. emt1 macrumors 65816

I'm 20 and I'm in college. I make $12/hour transporting patients at a local hospital. I'm planning on transferring to the Emergency Department and working as a tech. Hopefully I'll be making around $13-$14 then.

17. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Where I live, McDonalds pays $10/hr, but most other fast food restaurants pay $8.50 or so, call centres pay $10/hr, and one of my friends just got a job at walmart and she says she's making $10/hr

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

My first job washing dishes paid $10/hr mind you that was when I was 16.

Most of my waiting jobs paid somewhere between $18/hr to $30/hr+. On public holidays we were getting about $40/hr.

Café jobs were around $16.

I'm on a salary now though.

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Contract work often pays well, typically £14~25 p/h. Though it does vary according to your skills, abilities and the client. And because it's contract work, if you're working through an umbrella company, clients usually have a high penalty if they decide to terminate your contract prematurely.

20. rarity macrumors regular

rarity

Costco does pay above average, but the job market really stinks right now. I know, because I'm looking too.