What just happened to my rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SVTmaniac, Dec 18, 2013.

1. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

I recently purchased a 13" late 2012 rMBP refurbished from Apple. It's been trouble free for the past month and I've been running Mavericks on it since the first day I got it. Last night I was just browsing the internet on the couch and when I was done I closed out Chrome and shut the lid to put it to sleep like I always do. The battery was at about 50% so I plugged it in to charge overnight.

When I woke up this morning and picked it up I noticed it was extremely hot. I opened the lid and nothing happened at all, so I tried the power button and nothing happened. I had to hold the option key and the power key for it to start and when OSX booted, it said it did not shut down correctly.

So far it seems like it's working ok, but it was very scary and I thought it had completely died on me. Has anyone ever experienced anything like that before?

2. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

probably a kernel crash or something like that - never seen it happen on osx, but on windows and linux it's very common, or used to be.

3. SVTmaniac thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a log on OSX that I can look at to see what may have happened? I just don't want it to happen again. It was seriously hot, like almost burn your fingers hot.

4. WAG357 macrumors newbie

The logs are in a hidden folder off the root called private then var then logs and in there look at system.log This log is rotated daily and the old logs get compressed so you can simply uncompress yesterday's log and look through that as well. You might find a clue.

5. SVTmaniac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip.

6. boast macrumors 65816

boast

It has happened to me plenty of times with my 2010 MBP. It was starting to piss me off, but it hasn't happened recently.

7. WAG357 macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity, did your 2010 MBP come with the SSD or did you add it?
    If you added it, did the issue stop after the change?

8. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Happened after I added it. I always assumed it was due to the new feature that allowed OSX to still grab emails and stuff while it was asleep- and it would just lock up. At least I think it was around that update that I started having issues.