What key combo am I accidentally hitting?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lord Blackadder, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

    Lord Blackadder

    May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    This is such a dumb question that I hesitate to ask, but it's irritating me.

    The Windows machines at work all use Internet Exploder as their browser due to company policy.

    When I'm posting in this forum in IE, sometimes I accidentally hit a key or combination of keys that cause the computer to switch to a mode where, when I try to insert some text by moving the cursor back in a block of text and typing, it overtypes what I have already written instead of bumping the text in front of what I'm inserting.

    I don't know what the name is for this mode, so I can't look it up to find out what keys I'm accidentally pressing with my clumsy fingers. It's never happened to me in Safari or Firefox so the key combo must be easier to hit in IE.

    Any help?
  2. DaveP macrumors 6502


    Mar 18, 2005
    Sounds like you are hitting the 'Insert' key. It is located to the right of backspace. It's annoying.

    Cleveland Rocks! Go Indians!
  3. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

    Aug 12, 2005
    This is probably it, it enables overtype mode. Used to happen to me in AOL Instant Messenger. Annoying, indeed. :rolleyes:
  4. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

    Lord Blackadder

    May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Wow, I'm a dolt. :eek:

    Thanks for clearing that up...

    ..and nobody needs to know about my little problem, OK?

    :D :D

    DavidP, did you watch the game last night? It's nice to have one of our three top level professional sporting teams actually compete for once. :rolleyes:
  5. 20rogersc macrumors 65816


    Jun 28, 2005
    Brighton, UK
    That is the most annoying key ever, and I don't even think there's a good reason for it really. It must agitate more people than help.


Share This Page