What keyboard language is this?

gametime10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Just purchased a used MacBook Pro and it has an international keyboard. Does anyone know what language this is for? Is there any way to map it to just a normal US English layout?

Attachments

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
That's a German keyboard.

You can pop out keys and replace them as you wish as demonstrated here, order replacement keys here and change OS X keyboard layout under System Preferences->Keyboard->Input Sources.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Looks like a German keyboard, but like onemustfall said, it's hard to see anything from that picture.

gametime10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
You're right, it's a German QWERTZ keyboard (sorry for the low-res pic). Thanks for the video. I should be able to swap the Z for the Y, and figure out the rest of the keys from memory, once I set it as a US keyboard.

If anyone knows of a more thorough kit or guide to convert a QWERTZ keyboard to QWERTY, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
If you have the budget:

Swap Y and Z.
Replace all punctuation keys by buying US ones here.
Also replace all number keys except 1, 4 and 5.
Otherwise the tab/caps lock/shift/delete/return keys will look different, but still do the same thing.

gametime10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
In case it's helpful for anyone, I downloaded KeyRemap4MacBook (terrible name), and was able to make the Backquote into a Left Shift (as I was constantly missing it) and the Backslash into Enter (same), and the Section key into a Backslash. I'd rather have a US keyboard, but this will do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.