What keyboard language is this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gametime10, Dec 23, 2013.

1. gametime10 macrumors regular

Just purchased a used MacBook Pro and it has an international keyboard. Does anyone know what language this is for? Is there any way to map it to just a normal US English layout?

Attached Files:

• $_1.JPG
      $_1.JPG
      File size:
      17.6 KB
      Views:
  2. onemustfall macrumors member

I can barely read those keys. Got a bigger picture?

3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

That's a German keyboard.

You can pop out keys and replace them as you wish as demonstrated here, order replacement keys here and change OS X keyboard layout under System Preferences->Keyboard->Input Sources.

4. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Looks like a German keyboard, but like onemustfall said, it's hard to see anything from that picture.

5. gametime10 thread starter macrumors regular

You're right, it's a German QWERTZ keyboard (sorry for the low-res pic). Thanks for the video. I should be able to swap the Z for the Y, and figure out the rest of the keys from memory, once I set it as a US keyboard.

If anyone knows of a more thorough kit or guide to convert a QWERTZ keyboard to QWERTY, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

If you have the budget:

Swap Y and Z.
    Replace all punctuation keys by buying US ones here.
    Also replace all number keys except 1, 4 and 5.
    Otherwise the tab/caps lock/shift/delete/return keys will look different, but still do the same thing.

7. gametime10 thread starter macrumors regular

In case it's helpful for anyone, I downloaded KeyRemap4MacBook (terrible name), and was able to make the Backquote into a Left Shift (as I was constantly missing it) and the Backslash into Enter (same), and the Section key into a Backslash. I'd rather have a US keyboard, but this will do.