What Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by revolyssup, Dec 10, 2015.

1. revolyssup macrumors newbie

Looking for a keyboard to use for my rMBP when I have it hooked up to an external display. I don't type a lot but would prefer if it had some decent feel to it.

Wants/Needs:

Around $50 but will spend more if needed.
    Full size would be nice
    Bluetooth
    Must have Apple key layout
    Nothing cheap

I don't really want to spend $100 on the new magic keyboard as at that price I would rather buy a mechanical for a bit more.

Thanks in advance

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Pick your poison,anything Logitech,if you absolutely can't fathom the Magic Keyboard

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

4. dwig macrumors 6502

That's not quite accurate, at least as stated. Not all Logitech wireless mice and keyboards require a USB dongle. Some use Bluetooth instead.

I currently use a Logitech K380 as an occasional physical keyboard with my Win8 tablet. This keyboard is Bluetooth, supports pairing with 3 different devices, switches easily between devices, auto-adapts to different OSs. The keyboard layout is not a match to Apple's, but is very reasonable for use on MacOS. It supports Win (v7 minimum), Chrome, Android, iOS (v5 minimum), and MacOSX (v10.10 minimum) provided the version of your OS support and your hardware Bluetooth v4.0.

Personally, I like a longer key travel than either the Logitech K380 or the modern Apple keyboards for any long typing sessions. In fact, I particularly detest the current Apple offerings. I would not that some applications, Adobe Photoshop in particular, are more functional when using an "extended" keyboard, one with a dedicated numeric keypad. Ps distinguishes between the ENTER key and the RETURN key (in the numeric keypad section) which makes entering and editing text smoother for those who use the many keyboard shortcuts in Ps.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That may be true, but the listed keyboard does, and while I don't investigate keyboards very much, when I was looking for them. I only saw Logitech selling ones with that nubby thing