What kind of account(s) do you use for you Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spinnerlys, Mar 26, 2009.

?

What kind of account(s) do you use on your Mac?

1. Administrator

61 vote(s)
    92.4%
  2. Standard

15 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Managed with Parental Controls

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. Sharing only

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Hello.

After reading the comments on AI about the article that Macs are safer than Windows (link, it sprung to my mind, if I'm safe using my admin account all the time.

I know nothing bad should happen unless I enter my password without thought and install some malicious software.

So what kind of account(s) do you use for your Mac, and what do you use regularly/most of the time?

And should I consider using the admin account for just installing software or maintenance, and run the rest of the time my Mac via a Standard account?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I have an admin account, but only use my standard account. It requires entering my user name and password a bit more, but it's a little more secure. I try not to be complacent with security, even if Mac is safer. I use FileVault, the firewall, Stealth mode, and have virus software installed among other security settings.

3. RoninXI macrumors regular

I'm bad about that, I use an admin account full time. I still feel safe because I don't do stupid things like installing things I never heard of before. I do run the firewall and stealth mode but I have run into too many issues with FileVault so I let that go.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Admin account full time, no standard accounts. I'm careful.

5. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

One, sole, lonely, non-passworded Admin account.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have an admin account that I do not use day-to-day, my own user account (non-admin), my girlfriends user account (non-admin) and the guest account enabled for anyone else who wants to use the machine.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have an administrator account I use for regular things. I know how to recognize malware and avoid it, so I'm not too concerned... however, I may switch to a dual Standard/Admin setup when Snow Leopard comes out.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You forgot to mention root. I'm sure there are some that only use the superuser. Thus you could move stuff around in your system folder with less hassle. So it is a bit higher than an admin.

I use admin with no password.

9. KoL macrumors member

KoL

Same but with password.

10. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Since I have two Macs, and a linux box, I kinda do everything in the administrative and command line.

I do have one sharing account, but it's actually another administrative account, just for the security.

11. portent macrumors 6502a

What a coincidence. I use your Mac with that same account! ;)

12. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

One Admin account, one Standard account for day to day work.

13. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

This is how I have it, except with an account for my wife, but not girlfriend.

14. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Yes, but you can't log in on mine unless you say Pretty Please. Do you say Pretty Please? :D

15. durija macrumors 6502

I use admin almost exclusively. I tried using a standard for everyday functions(I have a couple set up), but it seemed like I was getting asked for a password every five minutes. I don't even know a root password, honestly.

16. paul.opensource macrumors member

Accounts

OK, noob here - I'm a long time Linux guy so I know the diff between root, etc. "Admin" on OSX is basically a user with the ability to use sudo and a "standard" user is not, correct? I am running a single admin account, but would feel better running a standard account. I am assuming I would need to create another account, set it as admin and make mine "non-admin", right? What dialog am I presented with when I try to perform an action that requires an account with admin privledges: username and password challange for an admin account?

Sorry for the 20 questions, now I know how Linux noobs must feel...:rolleyes:

17. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

You pretty much got it. Standard accounts are not in the sudoers file, so if you want to perform a privileged task you will need to enter an admin's user name and password. The dialog is the same as what you see when running as an admin, with the exception that the Username field is not pre-populated with any value.

18. paul.opensource macrumors member

Excellent, thanks for the response. I'll try that when I get home. I always su to root in a terminal on my Linux box so removing admin on my OSX user would be about the same. Root is not enabled on my OSX box and this is the preferred method way to run the system, correct?

19. tripletaker macrumors member

Admin at personal computer, standard for work. I've had no need not to use a admin account.

20. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

You do not worry about the breach of security if your MacBook gets stolen?

21. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Well, total of 3, but only one you can just hop into the desktop for, which would be my user/admin account. I've never felt overly unsafe with the Admin account, most of the directories it can write to are trivial, like the wallpapers folder. The rest of the power is just from it's ability to sudo, which is something I can worry about on my own. (Note: I do have auto-locking-preference-panes turned on, and auto-login disabled. I'm not that brave).

There's also the guest account, but that is sharing only. Lastly, root, who does have a password, but logging in using it is disabled. I just set the account up in case I need it.

22. animaxcg macrumors regular

23. mslide macrumors 6502a

Home iMac: One admin account, with no password (for me) and one standard user with no password (for my wife). I also have the root enabled as one cannot 'sudo' with a passwordless admin account.

Macbook that I use for home and work: One admin account with a password. I tend to be a little more careful on that one in case it is stolen.

24. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I don't worry about, since my computer never leaves my home office (or exceedingly rarely). It would be more of a bother than a nuisance. If I need to turn it on, it's easy enough.

25. paul.opensource macrumors member

Works like a charm - I set up another admin user and made my primary user non-admin. The dialog prompt is nothing more than I get on *nix asking me to su to root. I am quite used to that...

Thanks again!