Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Mine needs replacing. After 11 years, the original battery finally gave in! Can't complain.

I've had some trouble finding the 'right' battery for my car.

Any advice?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Just find a battery the right size and shape. as pointed out a 51R.

Walmart should have a cheap battery they will install for free if you can get the car there. $40-50 + tax

Just remember to take the old battery with you, or they will charge you extra.

---

Or go anywhere and buy a battery based on warranty, which will be more than a 12 month free replacement battery.

Don't really have to pay much for any of the extras, since the corrosion sprays and felt washers are cheap. Likely $0.99-1.99 for the felt anti-corrosion thingy.

The gel batteries however would be best for the cold, but very pricey.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Only once, last night!

I'm writing an email to Honda about this.

Yes, the battery last only twice as long as can be expected.

How shameful.

Look at the battery tray, if the battery looks small inside the tray.

You may be able to put in a larger battery, which helps in cold/hot areas.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Yes, the battery last only twice as long as can be expected.

How shameful.

Look at the battery tray, if the battery looks small inside the tray.

You may be able to put in a larger battery, which helps in cold/hot areas.

No I didn't mean that it wasn't long enough, I mean it's an anomaly! Manufactured 1994, battery finally gave in Feb 2007. Amazing.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
You sure it's the battery? it could very well be a bad alternator. worth a look. hopefully its the battery as an alternator can be like 150-200 bucks just for the part.

you dont want to buy a new battery and find that it too doesnt work in a little bit due to a bad alternator lol

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
You sure it's the battery? it could very well be a bad alternator. worth a look. hopefully its the battery as an alternator can be like 150-200 bucks just for the part.

you dont want to buy a new battery and find that it too doesnt work in a little bit due to a bad alternator lol

well he needs a new battery any how. at 11 years it was in need of replacement 6 years ago so even if the alternator is bad it still needs to be replaced
that being said it is worth checking the alternator considering you car is over 11 years old. It would not surpise me in the least to see it failing as well.

BarryW

macrumors member
well he needs a new battery any how. at 11 years it was in need of replacement 6 years ago so even if the alternator is bad it still needs to be replaced
that being said it is worth checking the alternator considering you car is over 11 years old. It would not surpise me in the least to see it failing as well.

I just replaced my battery, and the guy says the average life of a battery is about 4-5years, 11 years is pretty good going.

The alternator should be easier enough to check if you have a volt-meter.
With the car idling the voltage across the terminal should be approximately 13V

Batteries normally die when of the cells becomes faulty, a battery center can check this with one of their gadgets .

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040

Actually if the alternator is going the battery is probably not far behind. When the battery gets lots of deep cycles it stimulates the formation of large crystals. The large crystals can poke through the medium (either a gelled sulphuric acid or fiberglass mats soaked in sulphuric acid and cause a short. which takes out one of the cells in the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.