What kind of bug is this?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Flowlance, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Flowlance macrumors newbie

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X version do you use and what GPU do you have (9400M, 320M, 3000HD)?
    Does it also occur in another, even temporarily created, user account?

3. Flowlance thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey i'm on 10.7.2 and Geforce 320M. 4GB of ram. I have not tried with a different user account.
    The bug disappears if i scroll down or just move the window. Finally got the chance to screenshot it. Could it be hardware related?

4. simsaladimbamba

It could, but it can also be just 10.7.2, which seems to be buggy for many people, including such graphical glitches.
    And if it is hardware related, do you still have warranty or Apple Care?

5. Flowlance thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope i believe that's gone since I've installed an ssd drive. I believe I could put the old drive back without it being noticed though :p

6. simsaladimbamba

Replacing the HDD with another HDD or SSD does not void the warranty, as instructions are included in the User Guide included in the box your MBP comes in. But if you choose to go to Apple, replace the SSD with the original HDD or some other HDD you don't care about (but an HDD with Mac OS X on it), in case you have to send the MBP in and get the logic board replaced, which sometimes leads to other replaced parts, like RAM and HDD.

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If the problem shows up in screenshots, it's not hardware related.

8. Flowlance thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I thought. But I believe that's not quite true. I've had PCs with failing video cards before, and they failed to render 3d games properly. It was all screenshotable.

And thanks simsaladimbamba :)

9. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

most likely buggy graphics drivers.

I see strange graphic distortion when I drag an attachment out of mail to my desktop on my 2011 Mac Mini. It's quite weird but its definitely software and not hardware in my case. I have no issues playing games or anything like that.

I'd wait and see if it's solved in a future upgrade of 10.7