What Kind Of Cable Is This

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tkjim, Jul 23, 2006.

  1. tkjim macrumors newbie

    Jul 23, 2006
    Forgive me .. I haven't used a mac in years ..
    my last mac experience was with an Quadra 650
    but i have this left over cable ..
    can you guys tell me what it is , and what it does ??

    im going to get rid of
    this cable , and some old apple talk connectors , along
    with a internal scsi adaptor

    Thanks in advance guys ..............:) :)

    Attached Files:

  2. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

    Jan 21, 2006
    Looks like vga lead used to connect a monitor to the computer. Still useful so would be worth keeping.
  3. DougJrS macrumors regular

    Mar 21, 2004
    Kansas City
    Does it have enough pins to be a monitor cable? Don't most moitor cables have 3 rows of pins?

    Pretty cool with both genders on each end.
  4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

    Lord Blackadder

    May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    The DB-15 connector is Apple's older video cable standard, but the cable has four ends...it still may be a monitor cable, just one for multiple displays I'm not familiar with. SCSI cables have 25 or more pins, and serial cables are usually DB-9 or round connectors like an ADB connector but with a different pin arrangement. So my guess is it's some kind of video cable.
  5. tkjim thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 23, 2006

    Guys here is some more info ,, one of the ends with the two conections has monitor signs on it ....( both connections)

    the other end has an apple ., and the smaller one that mates to it has what looks like a printer sign ...

    i remember buying it .. ( and i remember it wasen't cheap )
    but i can't remember what for .. i never used it ...

    Thanks guys ..............:)
  6. dpaanlka macrumors 601


    Nov 16, 2004
    Well the two ends with monitor pictures on them are Apple's old proprietary monitor connector that existed from the Macintosh II all the way through the Beige G3s.

    I've never seen a bizzare contraption with four plugs though. I have no idea what that is, except maybe to display the same video signal on several displays (but not extending your desktop, only mirroring) - for example at a show kiosk?

Share This Page