what kind of case for macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tkepongo, Nov 26, 2007.

1. tkepongo macrumors regular

tkepongo

hey, im getting my white macbook tomorrow (woot woot) and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on cases (not bags) that will fit in a backpack. i like the black neoprone on the apple website but people claims that it stains the macbook.

2. Sayewhat macrumors member

I use one of the Speck cases. It works pretty good, but I don't think it will be good for use in a backpack. It doesn't absorb any shock like a neoprene would.

3. Stolencheese macrumors newbie

I got a macbook last Wednesday, In white of course, It's lovely and I bought the Neoprene Incase sleeve (black) and it only stained a tiny bit the first time I put it in but that was easy to wipe off.

I just recommend getting a decent case as the white does get dirty and scratched easy but it's worth it as it looks so nice. Have fun with it!

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have a waterfield designs sleeve and it's really nice. A little bit bulkier than some, but that's just extra protection I guess. Very attractive and well made - and you can have it customized to your liking. :)

5. reemrevnivek macrumors newbie

Booq vyper

yes, that's spelled right. I love mine, it's a little pricey, but a great case. Protects from spills, minimal impact, great strike/scratch protection from the stiff, high denier, reinforced nylon....convenient, just flip it under the laptop and it's a great insulator for your legs, fits absolutely perfectly (I have the m2 for my MBP), holds up well, keeps it clean, only had one zipper separation (for 3 seconds)...

If you're looking for a protector to compromise between a bulky briefcase insert and a minimalist neoprene sleeve, I can't reccommend the Booq Vyper highly enough. It's the best of both worlds: Slim and stylish, and protective. Slip it in your backpack/briefcase, and your mac laptop will be very happy. I'm not a salesman, I just love mine.
    http://www.booqbags.com/s.nl/it.A/id.65/.f

6. gwangung macrumors 65816

I'll just go on my usual rant and say to stay the hell away from Targus products. Shoddy workmanship---baggage snaps tend to fly open (and dumped my macbook to the ground once).

Much happier with a combo of the Speck hard case and an STM shoulder bag...

7. Think macrumors member

Think

I just ordered an Axio hard sleeve for mine. A little pricey but one of the few sleeves I was able to find that offered decent collision/crushing/bending/torquing resistance.

(It might be overkill for a student, I'm planning on taking it backpacking through S America)

HTH

8. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I second the Incase sleeve! I have one of those, but I haven't noticed any staining on mine though.

9. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Waterfield or ZeroShock

I'm a best of all worlds kind of guy. I really appreciate the impact protection of shell type cases (Speck, etc.) but don't like the added bulk and decreased visual appeal that comes with them. I also love neoprene sleeves, but find that they're generally either shoddily constructed (leading to premature wear on the case or possible protection breakdowns) or overpriced. I also like some of the hard shell sleeves like the Axio and the Booq listed above, but they're so bulky and expensive! I've used Waterfield products in the past and the construction can't be beat. They really are the top of the line in terms of soft sleeve protection. I've recently switched to ZeroShock sleeves for my new MacBook, though, as they provide an added level of impact protection in relation to a traditional neoprene sleeve without the added bulk of a hard case. Check them out at shinza.com. The 13" widescreen ZeroShock III may not be the best looking thing on the market, but the pictures really don't tell the story. This thing offers GREAT protection when in another bag while keeping all of the benefits of a neoprene case. It's a lot better looking in person, too! :)

10. Stolencheese macrumors newbie

Long live the Incase sleeve!

And by staining, I meant a bit of fluff.

11. sportsnut macrumors regular

I use an incase canvas sleeve when traveling light and a BOOQ bag mamba most of the time.

12. Matiek macrumors member

I started out with the incase sleeve but one day when I was using my MBP at a coffee shop I got a 3" long scratch across the top of it. The next day I ordered the speck hard shell, in orange. I've been very happy with it so far. It looks great and get compliments all the time, not to mention that it protects your computer when you're actually using it. I still use the incase sleeve whenever I carry my MBP in my back pack. The draw backs of the shell are that your computer cores run a touch warmer but it's not a big deal.

13. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Case-Mate Signature Suits allow you to keep the protection in place, even when using your MB. And they look great, too.

Only downside is that they are more expensive than most other cases.