what kind of digital camera can support Mac(iphoto)?

yklxcq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
i am going to buy Olympus mini, but i do not know whether that camera support mac platform.
Second question is what kind of digital do u guys have?
thx

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
As far as I'm aware, all digital cameras support Mac. If the software that comes with it doesn't, programs like Graphic Converter will.

As for me, I have a Canon A510. And I love it.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
The olympus you mention is definatly supported...All digital cameras are plug and play in OSX.......no need for windows drivers etc...

ShadOW ;)

yklxcq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
cooknwitha said:
As far as I'm aware, all digital cameras support Mac. If the software that comes with it doesn't, programs like Graphic Converter will.

As for me, I have a Canon A510. And I love it.
thx for replay, i have found the graphic converter, which was preinstalled;However i have do idea how to use that application, can u explain to me a bit?
Also, i just check the apple website, it listed all the digital cameras that mac supports, and found lots of new model and some old models it does not support at all. :confused:
thx in advance.

yklxcq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
shadowmoses said:
The olympus you mention is definatly supported...All digital cameras are plug and play in OSX.......no need for windows drivers etc...

ShadOW ;)
However, which i just mentioned above, there are limited number of digital cameras mac support, i am just getting :confused:

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Any major camera -- olympus, canon, kodak, nikon, minolta, pentax, you name it -- is supported. Just because every model isn't listed on the Apple support page doesn't mean it won't work. There are so many new cameras coming out that Apple can't keep up with listing them all. I've never heard of a camera that didn't work with a Mac.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
yklxcq said:
thx for replay, i have found the graphic converter, which was preinstalled;However i have do idea how to use that application, can u explain to me a bit?
When it comes to digital cameras, you just connect the camera to the computer using USB (I use the 2nd keyboard port) then the open Graphic Converter. It then says "Camera Connected - want to download" and from there you can get the photos. It's very user friendly.

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
Ive never heard of a camera not working with iPhoto. Just plug it in, and poof.

And why do you use Graphic Converter, when you can just use Image Capture that ships with OS X? Sounds like the same thing to me.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
iPhoto will work with almost all cameras, it may not "officially" support it, but it will work. In iPhoto, a supported camera will have it's name and a pic of the camera in the bottom left corner, but on a non-supported camera, it has a generic pic of a digital camera and just says "digital camera"

My office has an old CD mavica that i connect via USB, and it works fine, except when the camera shorts out ( i hate that camera) i also deal with a lot of digital cameras at work and iPhoto works everytime. Don't worry, just buy a camera—it will work.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Abstract said:
Whatever, that list isn't comprehensive.
Not working for Apple, I cannot help that. It IS however, the OFFICIAL list of supported cameras. Whether it's comprehensive or not.. whatever. It's a good place for the original poster to start.

As for cameras not working with iPhoto, I have a kodak at work that doesn't work with iPhoto. Off the top of my head I cannot think which model. It's cheap, and about 2 years old.

yklxcq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
thanks for helping me, i think i would go for a olympus mini :)