What kind of external hard drive do I have?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Benjer, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Benjer macrumors member

Hello,
    I just bought a "new" external hard drive from easybackupsystems.com. Basically, they take a new internal Western Digital drive and slap their own external case on it. They've gotten good reviews, but I'm cynical; I want to make sure that I do have the drive that was advertised. Is there any way to check out the specs of the hard drive (I have it connected via firewire). All I can find out from system profiler is the capacity.

Thanks,
    Benjer

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, the most definite way is to unscrew the case and look at what's in it; generally you can do that without breaking any seals that would void the warranty.

I seem to remember Disk Utility giving some additional data for externals, but I may be remembering that incorrectly, particularly if System Profiler doesn't tell you anything.

3. myjay610 macrumors regular

4. adrake86 macrumors regular

Seagate works great for me just remember for format it for the mac. MOst come out of the box ready for a pc.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

adrake86 does have a good point--if you're only using it on a Mac, and you haven't already, it probably came formatted for FAT32, and it'll work much more smoothly if you reformat it (with Disk Utility) as an HFS+ disk.